• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bulgarian Varieties

rainmax

Founding Member
I need some help here with my Oriental varieties. I have small place in front of the house which I want to use for small tobacco bed. I make this plan and I'm prepare to listen some advices. If you think, that this might work, don't make me correct the plan.

orient.jpg

rainmax

Founding Member
Sorry forget to mention. Behind Prilep is East and in front is West. Sun goes directly from back to front. I take care of the sun. I'm just curious about the distances between plants.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I'm continuing with more information about Bulgarian varieties.

Let's know the Oriental tobacco growing regions of Bulgaria. There're five Oriental tobacco growing regions in Bulgaria. These are; Macedonian, Plovdiv, Rodope-Thracian Plovdiv, Tundja-Black Sea and Northern tobacco growing region/areas.

- In Macedonian tobacco area, varieties are; Nevrokop, Melnik and Dupnitza. Tobaccos grown here have lighter colour with sweet and tasty and smoke, high cigarette yield and excellent burning rate. Each variety with its specific character within the typical features of the region, climate as well as by the various types of soils and relief of the slopes and skirts of the mountains.

- Plovdiv tobacco area varieties are; Ustina and Srednogorska Yaka. There used to be different variety called Perushtitza - Ustina variety, which had the most delicate, strong and typical flavor, said to be " better than a French fragrance ". But it's one of the lost Oriental varieties after popularization of American blends. The tobacco cultivated in this region is more deeply red, with oval and slightly lengthened leaves with thick to thin leaf blade of deep yellow or orange red color. It has good smoking taste of average or over the average strength and intensive, specific and delicate flavor.

- Rodope -Thracian Plovdiv area varieties are; Djebel-Basma, Krumovgrad, Topolovgrad, Harmanli and Svilengrad. The tobacco varieties grown there are one of the most renown Oriental tobaccos growing in Bulgaria, both in the past and today.

- In Tundja-Black Sea area there's only one variety growing, called East Balkan.

- In northern tobacco growing region has only one variety too, called Norh Bulgaria. It has good to neutral taste, normal tobacco flavor and excellent burning rate. Tobacco with more specific aroma is not very available in this area. Bacasue of this Bulgarians generally grows Burley and partly Virginia varieties in this region.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm growing out seven Bulgarian varieties this year. All are bagged already.

Ostrolist B-27-47 PI 321712 (flue cure)
Harmanliiska Basma #163 PI 286819 (Oriental)
Kozarsko #541 PI 286820 (Oriental)
Nevrokop #5 PI 286823 (Oriental)
Sultansko PI 286828 (Oriental)
Alma-Ata 315 PI 293909 (Oriental)
Djebel 174 PI 321709 (Oriental)

istanbulin

Founding Member
I found out three more Oriental varieties from Bulgaria and tried to write down some specification of them here. I hope this helps.

Krumovgrad 90

krm90.jpg

This is a Basma type Oriental variety widely grown in Bulgaria. It's grown in 42 % of the total Oriental tobacco growing lands, so probably it's one of the main variety there.

Morphological Characterisitcs

Shape of the plant : cone-shaped; height - 110-130 cm (depending on the agrotechnics)
Leaves : 34 – 36 leaves per plant , position – regular, size - 22/12 cm (length/width) at 14th leaf, shape of the leaf - oval, lamina - curly and waved, colour – green.

Growing Characterisitcs

The length of the vegetation period (from the plant-seedlings till the mass-flowering) is 80-85 days; till the ripe of the first leaves: 60 – 65 days. The leaves ripe consecutively and dry fast.

Quality

Dried leaves have yellow-orange colour. They possess a typical for the oriental tobaccoes fine flavor, pleasant taste and very good burning capacity.

It's resistant to "TMV" and "Powdery mildew" but sensitive to "Blue mold and "PVY".

Krumovgrad 58

krm58.JPG

A Basma type Oriental variety. It's grown in 10 % of the total Oriental tobacco growing lands in Bulgaria (because of its sensitivity to tobacco diseases, farmers prefer Krumovgrad 90 variety).

Shape of the plant : cone-shaped; height - 120-160 cm (depending on the agrotechnics).
Leaves : 32 – 37 leaves per plant, position – regular, size - 24/13 cm (length/width) at 14th leaf, shape of the leaf - elliptical, lamina - curly and waved, colour – light green.

Growing Characterisitcs

Length of the vegetation period (from the plant-seedlings till the mass-flowering) is 70 days; till the ripe of the first leaves: 55 – 60 days. The leaves ripe consecutively and dry fast.

Quality

The dried tobacco leaves have gold – yellow to orange-yellow colour. They possess a typical for the oriental tobaccoes fine flavour, pleasant taste and very good burning capacity.

It's sensitive to "Blue mold", "PVY", "TMV" and "Powdery mildew". Only resistant to "TSWV".

* Krumovgrad 988 is the local (old) variety of Krumovgrad 58 and Krumovgrad 90.

Han Tervel 39

ht.JPG

This is a Kabakulak type Oriental variety. It's grown in 15 % of the total Oriental tobacco growing lands in Bulgaria.

Shape of the plant : cone-shaped; height - 110-130 cm.
Leaves : 30 – 34 leaves, position – regular, size - 28/19 cm (length/width) at 14th leaf, shape of the leaf – wide elliptical, lamina - curly and waved, colour – light green.

Growing Characterisitcs

Length of the vegetation period (from the plant-seedlings till the mass-flowering) is 82 days; till the ripe of the first leaves: 70 – 75 days. The leaves ripe consecutively. They dry fast.

Quality

Dried tobacco leaves have light yellow to orange-yellow colour. They possess a typical for the oriental tobaccoes pleasant taste and very good burning capacity.

This variety is only resistant to "Blue mold".

istanbulin

Founding Member
Sultansko, Koşukavak (Turkish name of Krumovgrad) and some more really old local varieties were replaced with newer varieties like Krumovgrad "X". They're not same but may be similar in some ways. Actually this is more because of commercial concerns, like higher yield, more resistant varieties to diseases etc.

Another point is, more than 50 % Oriental tobacco growing lands are assigned for Krumovgrad varieties, so I think we may say Krumovgrad is the main Oriental variety growing in Bulgaria.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Very common I can say. In most cases or generally, lowest leaves are primed before flowering but they don't bear chracteristics of the variety like the main leaves.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
There is some really good information on Bulgarian varieties from the Bulgarian Institute for Tobacco. Check out the seed planter under Production of ITTI on the left side of each page. http://translate.google.com/transla...=UTF-8&u=http://www.ttpi-bg.com/bg/index.html

This is through Google Translate, which I'm just learning to use to translate web pages, (thanks Bob), so if your pages are not in English, you may have to open Google Translate and paste the web site address into the box and hit translate.

There are also some interesting lectures that can be downloaded.