• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Burley Red Tips

DonH

Are the suckers the top of the plant? I can't tell what I'm looking at???
No, suckers are side shoots. The idea is to have no suckers, they tend to divert too much energy of the plant from what we want it to do, produce big fat leaves. Same thing with flowers. The tops are just that, the upper leaves of the plant.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Are the suckers the top of the plant? I can't tell what I'm looking at???
No, the suckers come out at each leaf/stalk junction, usually after topping the plant. They try to come out like a limb, but you want to keep them picked off so the plant will put that energy in the main leaves of the plant.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Rose

The little dark green leaves sticking up are the suckers . Kind of hairy looking .
In commercial tobacco sucker control is used and you will not see suckers like in the picture .
I did not use any sucker control on that tobacco .That why there is suckers .

workhorse_01

As big as those plants are, you have to start from the outside row and work in. LOL. How do you overcome some leaves curing green because they're immature, and not curing properly? or is that percentage of loss factored in? Or can you gas bacca like most semi drivers do tomatoes?

BigBonner

Founding Member
They will color cure with no green in the leaves .
In 2010 I did have some color cured green specks in the leaves but they come out with aging . Burley is one that the green will come out .
Sun burn or cold temperatures just after harvesting will cause green problems with burley .But time takes it out .

When cutting tobacco you take two rows . Three stalks from the one on the right and three from the left side , then start a new stick six stalks per stick .