Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Case of Filler Leaf for Rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uwacop

Good Morning,

I want to ask about case of leaves. I have watched tons of videos and the one I like is where a guy takes out a 1/3 of his pound, sprays around 3 leafs at once, and puts in a plastic bag. I just received around 4 lbs of leaves and 2 of them were very dry. So is it ok to take out a part of shipment, lightly spray, and store? Will it mold this way? I have rolled around 100 cigars so far and starting to get the feel for it. I'm working on the draw right now, and I wrap them in paper and let sit a few hours.

Thank you
G

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Re: Case

What types of tobacco did you get? Fillers should be dry and binder and wrapper should be less dry. Wrapper will always need to be hydrated be being used.

Uwacop

I don't use a wrapper, I just use a binder. My filler leaves are the ones I'm talking about. They were crumbling when trying to roll.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Here's what I do with crumbly filler. [If you are a member of the "entubado" sect, please ignore this post.]

• Method 1: leave it that way, and completely surround it with a pliable filler leaf prior to bunching it.
  • Method 2: very lightly mist it with water, and allow it to sit on the cutting board while I prepare (stem, etc.) the rest of the leaf for that cigar. By then it's usually pliable enough.
  • Method 3: gently bunch the crumbly filler inside a relatively loose, sturdy binder. When I apply the wrapper (binder two, if you wish), I fully compress the bunch, ignoring the horrible crunching sound.

As long as the filler leaf is generally in the right Zipcode, and is adequately compressed, it burns and smokes just fine.

Bob

EDIT: Your other question, about case with respect to molding, is worth an additional note. If only a few leave within a large, bagged quantity of leaf seem much drier, it is because those specific leaves have different affinity to water. If you try to get them just as soft as the rest, then store them, they will need to be at a higher moisture than is safe. Tobacco leaf won't mold, regardless of the moisture, for several days, but after that, the risk of mold climbs pretty rapidly.

CobGuy

• Method 2: very lightly mist it with water, and allow it to sit on the cutting board while I prepare (stem, etc.) the rest of the leaf for that cigar. By then it's usually pliable enough.

This is my method ... doesn't take long at all to absorb enough moisture but be careful not to go to far.
I usually roll Entubado style and still have some crumbly bits in the process.

Also, in case I missed your arrival, welcome aboard! :)

col555

I also roll entubado, if my filler is crumbly dry i take enough out of the bag for my next rolling session and spritz it then put it in a zip bag for at least 1 day, i like mine to be just short of crumbly when im rolling it.
If i were you i would try all the methods mentioned above and go with the one you like best

Uwacop

aged Nicaraguan seco, Dominican volado piloto Cubano, Dominican binder, Dominican ligero criollo 98, Nicaraguan seco jalapa

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Volado and seco leaf tends to be thin and crumbly, but can tolerate additional moisture. Remove all the contents of one bag at a time, mist the handful with water two or three spritzes, then return it to the bag for long-term storage. It will rehydrate all the leaf a smidgen, and you will see a noticeable improvement in handling it. [I reclose my WLT vapor-proof bags by rolling the open end down to the leaf, then holding it with one or two wooden clothespins.]

Bob

D0CH0LLIDAY

For me, a couple days before I roll cigars, I place the fillers in a plastic bag and spray with distilled water lightly, then seal up the bag and let it sit. I do the same with binders but spray more water on them.

Uwacop

Thank you, I will try these ideas. Just trying to learn here...........LOL

Smokin Harley

I agree with DOCHOLLIDAY. If the leaf is at the shattering point when you try and manipulate it ,its too dry. Mist a paper towel with distilled water and put it in a ziplock bag but dont seal it. put that and the leaf in question in another larger ziplock bag and seal it , set it aside overnight (or lets say 12 hours)and by morning it should be in perfect case to roll without making pieces.

D0CH0LLIDAY

View attachment 24369View attachment 24370

The burning cigar was my first roll and the box was the last one's I rolled.

Nice job. Are you using a chaveta? If so and you want to get rid of the wrinkly look on your cigars, when you get done rolling the cigar, place it on the table and put the flat side of the chaveta down on it and roll the cigar forward and backward with some downward pressure as you move it. That will push in veins and such and make it look more uniform. I don't use a chaveta myself, so I have a giant stainless putty knife looking thing that I use to roll those out to look better.

Uwacop

Thanks bud, I do have one and a good friend of mine made it, actually 2. There heavy and stainless steel, and he made me a rolling board from Cypress wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.