Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar Glue

TravisNTexas

I'm wondering if anybody has tried Wilton Gum-Tex Tylose Powder? Not sure what exactly it is yet, but it used interchangeably with gum tragacanth powder and in the same proportions in cake decorating circles. From what I have read, the gum trag is reported to be the strongest bonding "gum" product for cigars, but I have not tried it yet.

MarcL

Keep in mind that a lot of the gum out there is intended for use for fondant or cake decorations. A big convenience to that is ready mix powders. (just ad water)
So most will have sweeteners in fillers in them. The stuff I use does not and, I'm sure that is why it is more expensive. You will find that all to be the case except for raw gum or bulk from the Orient.

CobGuy

Just finished this entire thread ... thanks to all for the shared experience and suggestions!

So far, I have only used the gum that came with my rolling kit from WLT and it worked very well. However, I ran out before finishing and rolled several with no glue at all fairly successfully.

Based upon what I've read here so far, I'll pick up some Tragacanth and try it on my next round.

LewZephyr

Xanthan-Gum.jpg
Last year Kroger had this on closeout.
I bought 3 of them for under $10 total.
I haven't even broached using a 1/4th of one yet.
And it works perfectly. Reminds me of tapioca consistency.

Cigar

thats what am currently using..but man its hard to mix to get just rite..or maybe am doing something wrong?..but I really like it for cigar glue.

LewZephyr

I just sprits water in a small tupperware bowl. put about a teaspoon and a half in there..... spritz some more and stir it up.
I make it kind of wet, and then let it sit for a while so it hydrates the little dots that didn't get mixed..
It coagulates up to a thicker consistency, mix it up again and its good to go, unless it is a little too thick then I just spritz more water and mix. No need to let it sit from there.

Smokin Harley

I was at the store yesterday and picked up some Bob's Red Mill Guar gum to try . Its sold as a food thickener /binder so I'll give it a shot and see how it compares to pectin.

wrapper

Remember flour and water paste at school for those papier mache projects? Or am I giving away my age here...? Flour and water works well and it is cheap and can be ditched at the end of a rolling session. But I am using gum arabic now and I like it a lot. There is a faint sweetness and a very faint but pleasant odour, a bit like marzipan. And it works well. It may be only 1/10th as strong as others, but it is not like it needs to stick the soles onto shoes.

Smokin Harley

I am so thankful for autospell(that was sarcasm if you didn't catch it) glue is NOT gear gum but in fact GUAR gum...and I have to say as far as gluing capability ,it is hands-down better than the fruit pectin. It is perfectly clear odorless, and with a finger tip dip and taste ... I can't detect any taste whatsoever. I just found my next cigar glue. Doesn't take much dry powder per water either. I put maybe 1/4 teaspoon in my glue mixing container and had to add almost 3 ounces of water to get it where it is usable. Also doesn't take much glue at all to do what I used to have to smear quite a bit on my cigar flags and caps and sometimes it still would lift as soon as it dried out even a little bit. Its some slick stuff while its workable and when it decides to stick, its stuck. Only two caps into this glue so far and it smooths down a pigtail and cap to near perfect torcedor quality cap. Bob's Red Mill Guar Gum. ...a few nickels more than $4 .

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have used both Xanthan gum and Gum Tragacanth . Both do a great job on cigars .
I prefer Gum Tragacanth because if you get a little on the outside of the cigar you won't notice it .
With Xanthan gum , what I have used leaves a little dried paste on the outside of the cigar . Probably my big fingers and using too much glue .

Gavroche

Hello, I have just read with attention 14 pages of this subject. Thus I am going to ask my pharmacist of the tragacanth because this one would be best ... A technical question however, you put the just glue to finish the cigar as on video of rolling either you put it on all the sheet, where she rides? ...

bonjour,

je viens de lire avec attention les 14 pages de ce sujet.
je vais donc demander à mon pharmacien de la gomme adragante puisque celle-ci serait la meilleure...
une question technique toutefois, vous mettez la colle juste pour finir le cigare comme sur les vidéo de roulage ou bien vous en mettez sur toute la feuille, là où elle chevauche ?...

MarcL

Hello, I have just read with attention 14 pages of this subject. Thus I am going to ask my pharmacist of the tragacanth because this one would be best ... A technical question however, you put the just glue to finish the cigar as on video of rolling either you put it on all the sheet, where she rides? ...

bonjour,

je viens de lire avec attention les 14 pages de ce sujet.
je vais donc demander à mon pharmacien de la gomme adragante puisque celle-ci serait la meilleure...
une question technique toutefois, vous mettez la colle juste pour finir le cigare comme sur les vidéo de roulage ou bien vous en mettez sur toute la feuille, là où elle chevauche ?...

No. just at the end.

Gavroche

[QUOTE = MarcL; 120046]. Je pensais montrer une photo de la cohérence de mon colle [/ QUOTE]

View attachment 17580View attachment 17581

Hello,

I have just received by post the tragacanth 50 grammes for 14.50 euros...

I have just made the mixture as on the photo of Marcl, that sticks on fingers I am going to let rest(base) a little but it is very promising...

Thank you for this very instructive and useful pinned subject.

MarcL

Hello,

I have just received by post the tragacanth 50 grammes for 14.50 euros...

I have just made the mixture as on the photo of Marcl, that sticks on fingers I am going to let rest(base) a little but it is very promising...

Thank you for this very instructive and useful pinned subject.

I hope it helps. Refrigerate when not in use.

tampadave

I haven't read all 14 pages of posts, so perhaps this was already mentioned, but regarding tapioca, just buy tapioca starch, which is a fine power, and what tapioca pearls of made from.

You can get a one pound bag of it for little more than a dollar, at your local Asian food market. For that matter, starch is used to make glue, so probably even corn starch (have not tried this...) would work.

Hope this helps!

David

metalbone

I had forgotten about this thread...ran out of glue the other day, so I made a batch of dextrin by heating some cornstarch in the oven at 400 for a couple of hours. mixed some of the yellow powder with water and zapped for a few seconds, and was off and rolling. Works fine and haven't noticed any taste. and its cheap...$1.50 for a pound of corn starch and maybe $0.50 in natural gas.