• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigarette casing recipe

CT Tobaccoman

Don, good catch on that, the casing I had devised back then was quite strong and really changed the tobacco flavor. If you're wanting a good casing to make your cigarettes actually taste like cigarettes (;)) get WLT's casing.

The stuff I make and sell is more for pipe tobacco.
I've been using the WLT casing for flue cured and like it fine. Would like a bigger bottle, tho.

CT Tobaccoman

Bob,

Glad to hear that. Interestingly, I "learned" that "antifreeze" referred to a propylene glycol was added to cigarettes on a virulently anti smoking web page. The prohibitionists are not above disinformation, apparently.

CT

niko

I did some research into easy replacements for certain items, recipe scaling down, and reasons for use. If you see an error please discuss it.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Item[/TD]
[TD="width: 173, bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]Measurement[/TD]
[TD="width: 141, bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]Replacement For[/TD]
[TD="width: 187, bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]Reason for replacement[/TD]
[TD="width: 246, bgcolor: #CCCCCC"]Reason for use[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cocoa power[/TD]
[TD]13.4 tablespoons[/TD]
[TD]Cocoa and chocolate[/TD]
[TD]Easier over all process[/TD]
[TD]Add very light flavor, reduce harshness[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]licorice extract[/TD]
[TD]1 teaspoon[/TD]
[TD]Licorice Granules[/TD]
[TD]Easier to obtain[/TD]
[TD]Add flavor, reduce ammonia flavor[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]honey[/TD]
[TD]5 tablespoons[/TD]
[TD]Invert Syrup[/TD]
[TD]Easier to obtain[/TD]
[TD]preserves,flavors, helps deliver nicotine[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Corn syrup[/TD]
[TD]10 tablespoons[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]preserves[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Glycerine USP[/TD]
[TD]10 tablespoons[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]preserves, seems to aid in burning[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Table Salt[/TD]
[TD]1/2 teaspoon[/TD]
[TD]Sodium Benzoate[/TD]
[TD]Possible Carcinogen (FDA)[/TD]
[TD]preserves[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Purified Water[/TD]
[TD]15 tablespoons[/TD]
[TD]“water”[/TD]
[TD]Clear of hard water chemical[/TD]
[TD]helps spread mixture onto leaf[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
I am new to this forum, so hello all.

I haven't read the whole thread but when I saw table salt in the recipe I wanted to warn readers that putting table salt in something that will burn is not a good idea because it is very likely to cause dioxin formation -which is a really nasty toxin- and it won't do much in the way of preserving at such low amounts. You can experiment with propylene glycol; it has antimicrobial properties equivalent to ethyl alcohol and should be safe in such a scenario, as far as I know.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Welcome to the forum, Niko. [Feel free to tell us about yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum.]

Your comment about combusting salty mixtures of organics is well noted.

Salt is commonly used in chew and snus recipes. I'm not aware of any casing recipes for smoking tobacco that use NaCl. I'm not sure where Michibacy found that convenient "substitution."

Bob

Orson Carte

I'd be interested to know how other forum members, who have used a prepared casing on their tobacco, actually applied it.
In my first 'experiment' I misted my concoction over the shredded tobacco that I had spread out thinly in large trays. I made it pretty damp and then just left it in my fermenter to dry it down again to about 18% moisture.
I was really quite pleased with the perceived enhancement but now that I am about to case another shredded kilogram I am wondering if there is a better method that someone has discovered.
For example, I wondered if the tobacco was tied in a muslin bag, or similar, and totally immersed in the liquid it might give a better overall penetration of the liquid - but some of the finer stuff might become unrecoverable. I also wondered if it might be better to apply the casing to the whole leaf (and then drying) before putting it through the shredder.
I'd be grateful to hear any comments.
Thanks.