• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigarette Tube Reviews

winston-smoker

Is there such thing as a 100% chemical free tube? Not a fan of the brown ones
Vera Cruz Nocturne ... the tube is a "paper shopping bag" shade of brown. It's unbleached. So your choices seems to be either become a fan of brown colored tubes, or convince yourself that bleached white tubes aren't so bad after all.

RyanM22

The wood fiber used in the manufacture of paper is a light, dingy brown. The only way to make it white is to bleach it.

Bob
Thanks for the help.. Winston, as of now brown tubes are ahead of bleach in the standings by a wide margin

IanA2

Sort of tangental to tubes. what do folks think of machines? I've seen a Top-o-Matic which looks nice and costs about 3lbs of tobacco. Thing is, I think this may be over-kill as I generally only smoke 3 to 5 cigarettes a day (I'm currently hand-rolling). The other thing is I use Rizla ultra thin papers and form what I've read hear, thin paper don't seem to sit too well with the machine(s).

So questions are, (sorry for the ramble :) ).

1. Would I be better just getting a small Rizla type cheap plastic tube pusher and get three more pounds of tobacco, or should I go for the big boy?

2. Are there any decent thin paper tubes for either machine? We don't seem to have the same selection here in the UK as US folks have.

Many thanks.

leverhead

I have a lever type stuffer that I don't use, I can make a better cigarette with the cheap plastic stuffers. I'd go with the extra tobacco. I use Zig-Zag King size tubes, the cheaper tubes I have to be very careful not to overfill them.

skychaser

I bought a plastic Zig Zag tube stuffer for $6.99 over 3 years ago and have rolled 30+ cigs a day with it ever since. And it still works great. We use Golden Harvest light 100 tubes. Never had a problem with them. They are one of the more expensive brands in tobacco shops and are usually around $3.25 a box. But we get them from http://www.tobaccogeneral.com for just over $2 a box. And you get free shipping if your order is over $120.

IanA2

Very helpful, that was the way I was leaning. The top-o-matic seem seems a bit overkill ZIG ZAG stuffer here I come.

ETA: Except that I can't get zig zag kit in the UK. That good link.....afraid they will not ship to UK :( Oh well, just ordered a Rizla stuffer from Amazon UK. Choice of tubes here is dire too....ho hum

IanA2

Well I've been plodding away with my little plastic stuffer, and it's not too bad. However, I find that to fill the tubes reliably I have to dry the tobacco more than I would like. I was wondering if that's a universal problem or if one of the top-o-matic type machines can cope with a more moist tobacco.

leverhead

I use my tobacco when it will spring right back from being compressed between my thumb and fingers, a wad that weighs about 3 g is a good sample size. If it holds the impression of my thumb for a second or more, it's too moist and will act "sticky" when injected. Is your tobacco a "ribbon" shred or more like a flake?

Tobacco Shred.JPG

DonH

I started out with a plastic one then got frustrated. Then I got a Top O Matic and after a couple years got frustrated with that. So last week I got a Powermatic I from WLT and am really happy with it. Making cigarettes used to be a chore and now it's fun. So I'd skip the Top O Matic and spend the $25 more.

IanA2

I use my tobacco when it will spring right back from being compressed between my thumb and fingers, a wad that weighs about 3 g is a good sample size. If it holds the impression of my thumb for a second or more, it's too moist and will act "sticky" when injected. Is your tobacco a "ribbon" shred or more like a flake?

View attachment 11876
Spring back would be ok for me.....but that is too moist for my stuffer.

IanA2

I started out with a plastic one then got frustrated. Then I got a Top O Matic and after a couple years got frustrated with that. So last week I got a Powermatic I from WLT and am really happy with it. Making cigarettes used to be a chore and now it's fun. So I'd skip the Top O Matic and spend the $25 more.
Does the powermatic cope with moist tobacco?

ETA: is that the manual or electric version?

IanA2

Thanks for all the help.

It does seem to be a problem with the stuffer &/or the tubes as I can't get decent sticks and anything much less than bone dry baccy. I've ordered a manual Powermatic from the States. Costs $71 delivered with all taxes and duty. A good price because the £ is strong at the moment.

Will report back.

IanA2

My Powermatic I+ arrived today. My plastic stuffer is in the bin! This is a seriously good bit of kit. Isn't it nice when what it says on the tin is what you get!

I have a bread making machine which generally lasts about five years (used daily) and when it's finished I just get another. I think this machine is going to be the same. If/when it stops working, I'll be getting another.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. To anyone else thinking about getting one, stop thinking, just get it, it's excellent!

CT Tobaccoman

I have been using Premier, the dark blue. I have a small electric cigarette maker, which has been fine for a long time now--no problems. There is a kind of tubes called Zen, which I like better than Premier. The guy at the smoke shop says that only so many boxes of this Zen are available each month, and sell out fast.

My machine works good with all brands of tubes, and I really don't notice the brand of tube having anything to do with the taste of the cigarette. Something about Zen I like--don't really know why.

My biggest problem was finding a good way to shred the tobacco leaves. I don't want to spend over 100 bucks for the shredders they sell. So I developed a method of making a stack of 20-30 leaves smoothed out. Then I fold this pile into a square pad. Then I cut diagonally with scissors, very thin strips. Then I cut the strips into quarter inch pieces. So I end up with little tiny stacks of strips, and if the tobacco is too moist it is hard to separate the little pieces. So I do this with dry leaves, just damp enough so that they don't break and crumble. At the end I just rub all the little stacks against each other, and all the little strips separate into good size flakes ready for the machine.