Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Containers for Shredded Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some containers from Uline that seem to be suitable for storage of shredded tobacco. For pipe blends, the smaller sizes are ideal. (Uline offers even smaller sizes for tiny batches.) For cigarette shred, the larger sizes are probably more convenient. Although I've cited only products from Uline, similar containers are available from other vendors, such as US Plastics, though the Uline prices seems to be a bit lower. Different vendors may allow the purchase of smaller quantities.

Some members use large glass canning jars, which may be less expensive at a local store, but they do require care to avoid breakage when stacked.

Natural Large Round Wide-Mouth Jars
S_18071_L.jpg

16 oz. : $0.99 Uline page
min qty: 24

Clear Large Round Wide-Mouth Jars
S_9936_L.jpg

16 oz.: $1.19 Uline page

S_9937_L.jpg

32 oz.: $1.89 Uline page
min qty: 12

S_18076_L.jpg

1/2 Gal.: $2.95 Uline page

S_18077_L.jpg

1 Gal: $3.95 Uline page

White Wide-Mouth Jars
S_14511_L.jpg

32 oz.: $1.79 Uline page

Deep Metal Tins (tin plate)
S_17906_L.jpg

4 oz: $0.75 Uline page
min qty: 48 (1 carton)

S_17907_L.jpg

16 oz: $1.17 Uline page
min qty: 36 (1 carton)

Bob

Last edited:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
is it my imagination or does the aroma get more intense in glass containers over plastic containers? i guess metal would be good too, but it just seems like glass is the best. with the obvious drawback you mentioned of shattering.

leverhead

My biggest problem with canning jars is my hand will just squeeze through the mouth. I've got a couple of 2 Gallon commodity/candy jars with a 6" mouth and sealing lid. I haven't had more than one filled yet, my storage capacity exceeds my ambition.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I use a lot of Zip Lock bags, but for long-term storage, I have to keep them within my humidor, to prevent gradual drying. Freezer bags are a more effective vapor barrier than standard storage bags, but both still allow the loss of moisture. (I sometimes use a large Zip Lock to allow tobacco that is a bit too moist to slowly dry out.)

Any kind of jar with a snug lid will maintain tobacco at the original level of moisture--both a feature and a risk.

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
The 16 oz. or quart size jar should hold close to 6 ozs. of shredded tobacco which is about equal to 1 carton of king size cigs. I've been using about 20 pint canning jars, each with a different variety of shredded, for mixing or smoking straight.
I keep a bowl for mixing enough to roll a pack each morning for the day. All my cigar leaf is in 2.5 gal. freezer ziplocks, as well as cig. leaf before the need to shred.

Anything to damp and leave the closure open a bit and anything gets to dry add a spritz of water .

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Just to remind you all, Uline requires minimum amounts per order (IE you can't buy just 1 product usually, especially with storage/shipping items) I have a business account with them if anyone is interested in getting some stuff

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just to remind you all, Uline requires minimum amounts per order (IE you can't buy just 1 product usually, especially with storage/shipping items) I have a business account with them if anyone is interested in getting some stuff
The minimum quantities are listed with each item above.

Uline website said:
No. There is no minimum dollar amount for orders.

The minimum quantity required for purchase may vary between items. A minimum dollar amount may apply for sale items.
Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
From reading it the company sells 1 box at the minimum, so Mich still provides a service to those that just want a single item from the box w/o making a bulk purchase. I might have read it wrong tho

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Smokes,
You are right. I misread the last two items. I've corrected the entries.

If you find similar items from US Plastics, they often allow ordering of quantity 1 or partial cartons. But their prices tend to be a little higher.

For example, from US Plastics, a 32 oz. polypropylene jar is available in qty 1 for $1.35, with the 120-400 cap with liner costing $0.61 (total $1.96 for quantity of 1).
70253p.jpg
66338psku.jpg

Unfortunately, the search function on the US Plastics site is not very selective, so finding what you want may take a while.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
US Plastics offers a free printed catalog. It makes finding what you want on the website alot easier by typing in the part number. Also, they sell so much stuff that is useful around the house or shop that the catalog is very handy for more than just jars or ziplocks.

SmokeStack

For glass storage jars, take a look at:

www.mywonderjar.com

I use the Fido glass jars. They are flip-top, sturdy glass jars, but they are also a bit pricey. I have also bought these Fido jars from Ace Hardware, but they sellout fast. They come in all sizes up to 5 liters.

ashaggyone

Another place you can look at is http://www.specialtybottle.com where I get everything for my needs. There is no ordering limit and you'll find a large selection to choose from. I began buying here for my dried herbs and spices to build my "Alton Brown" organizer. I've always gotten great service and timely shipments.

I

i12cleaf

S_18077_L.jpg

1 Gal: $3.95 Uline page

This is almost identical to what I have. I actually looked into getting it from Uline but their shipping made me consider other options. So I typed in the nearest major city + "bottle company" into Google and stumbled on some decent leads. I highly recommend doing something similar because I ended up paying $46.76 for 12 jars (I only wanted ten but they come in quantities of four) and no shipping! And what's nice about this is that I picked them up directly from a warehouse and came in box cases which I will keep reusing. Apparently -- from what I read -- you want tobacco to be stored in the dark areas so the boxes are perfect. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i like the idea of using one of the metal cans that popcorn or cookies come in, i may try that.

right now im using glass gallon jars and find allthough i can get my hand in there,,

but when i grab a handfull of bacca. i loose some of it on the floor while trying to get it out.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
right now im using glass gallon jars and find allthough i can get my hand in there,,

but when i grab a handfull of bacca. i loose some of it on the floor while trying to get it out.
In India, a monkey trap was sometimes made of a fat jar with a narrow neck. When the jar was filled with rice, a monkey would grab a handful of rice, and get its hand trapped. Even though releasing some of the rice, or taking smaller portions, or even just dumping out the rice would allow the monkey to eat the rice without risk of being trapped, they couldn't see the connection between the enticing bate and entrapment.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.