Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Contest and promotion ideas needed

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I've been stocking up on product for the whole leaf site and got some of unusual tobacco from all over the world. A lot of these are in 1 lb. - 5 lb. sample packs. Different kinds of Flue Cured, Fire Cured, Oriental, Burley, Dark Air cured, Cigar filler, Cigar wrapper etc.

samples.jpg

This is a small sample. I have more than 30 of these packs and about 4 packs of cigar wrapper.

What I'd like to do is come up with a contest to "WIN" these samples, but I need some ideas for the contest. We could do a promotional event to and give these away as intensives. We'll probably end up doing both ;) Submit your ideas in this thread. I haven't gone through most of it, but if there is only one of something really unusual, I'll probably divide it into four pieces so more people can get a shot at it. Start brainstorming and give me some ideas for sending this stuff out.

Last edited:

Daniel

Banned
Don, I will have to think on this one for a while and see if anything percolates up for promo or contest ideas.
I know another group I belong to will be conducting their 9th annual birthday bash next month. They conduct a month long series of contests and events every year. Now that group is craft realted so contests are a little easier to think up. But some are information and trivia realted. SOme are contribution realted. not in the form of financial contributions but recognition of those that participate and contribute to the group in any way.

I certainly think that there should be a prize for the person producing the most lbs of tobacco per square foot of garden:)
IF not that then an award from Most improved tobacco grower. As in those that went from small spaces to large. As my first suggestion I thank I stand a pretty good chance at that one also. I am going from 220 sq feet of space from last year to 11,844 this year. Not only that but I am going from a plant spacing of ony 12 inches in each direction to 24 inches between plants and 6 feet between rows. Larry does not have to hang his head at the mention of my name this year.

Now I will still be able to set on a well stuffed couch on my back patio to watch some of my tobacco grow. That still has a bit or urbanite clinging to it but still IThink I woudl have a strong standing in the conversion to ball cap and coveralls category.

And then of course what tobacco contest could not include a spitting contest. That might be a little tricky to coordinate and verify through the net though. Still I think that everyone needs to be required to preform at least one really good spit just for the spirit of things.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Yeah, Yeah, Maryland my Rosie Red $#& !!! :D Hurrah for Connecticut !

Having a contest where members are given access to a PDF sign up sheet that could be hand delivered or Emailed to possible interested friends might help.

The signup sheet would include a lottery type incentive prize of tobacco, seeds, whatever. Each new member (via these sheets {Emails}) would have a chance at the prize(s). That way the number of prizes could reflect the number of new members . The sheets would include the name of the current member as "SPONSOR". Prize(s) for current members responsible for the largest number would also be offered. This makes it a two tiered promotion. Multiple new applications from the same Email or physical address would be rejected. You might offer additional (smaller/larger) prizes for new members with more than (pick a number) of new posts.

I am not a red hot computer geek but a savvy guy (or gal -- gotta be correct -- :mad: ) could make tallying counts and multiple applications easy and automatic.

Considered up sides/ideas: Easily world wide. Easy (automatic) to administer.

Possible down sides/ideas: Hard to administer/judge? -- Thoughts welcome

This is a new area for me so these thoughts are preliminary and changes and additions would be a fine idea and welcome.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post comments / dialog on Facebook or Twitter.

That's my 2 cents for now. Hope it gets you guys to thinking and typing. Good luck Don.

John

BigBonner

Founding Member
How about a pirze for the member that has the most , Limited to One for each of the following .

Pounds raised in 2011
Plants raised in 2011
Acres Raised in 2011
Burley raised in 2011
CT Broadleaf in 2011
Dark Air / Fire in 2011
Bright Leaf in 2011

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Good suggestions Larry. Doesn't it tend to tip the scales away from the newbies? I kinda thought we were trying to arouse interest from them.

John

BigBonner

Founding Member
Haven't you heard of the old saying ?
Beside I thought I would beat out the Maryland idea.:rolleyes:

Give a man tobacco ; you have him smoke for today. Teach a man to raise tobacco ; and you have him smoking for a lifetime.

Just funnin

Good suggestions Larry. Doesn't it tend to tip the scales away from the newbies? I kinda thought we were trying to arouse interest from them.

John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I have a ton of this stuff, I don't have all year to send out one package. I want to get rid of this stuff.

I'm liking the lottery type idea though, technically, I think we have to call it a raffle though.

Tman

How about the newbies dumpest question asked contest, like Why do you hang the tobacco leaf up side down. just saying

BarG

Founding Member
Haven't you heard of the old saying ?
Beside I thought I would beat out the Maryland idea.:rolleyes:

Give a man tobacco ; you have him smoke for today. Teach a man to raise tobacco ; and you have him smoking for a lifetime.

Just funnin

I always thought it was ' give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll lie for a lifetime'

No stackin the deck now ,us southrn boys deserve a chance to.
Just funnin back

BarG

Founding Member
To be honest with you I would be curious as to how the other guys tobacco tastes like.

I have enough to send a sample of my monte to any member through pm request. I have primed leaves from lower- mid level to upper leaves. just pm for sample hand and if so so inclined send one of yours but not necessary.Please specify upper or lower part of plant and will do my my best to provide a decent sample. Not trying to cut in on anybody just my way of promoting. I will still want my specialty tobacco, which is not or should be free at someones else expense. However if a serious member would like a a few leaves to sample what harm. I do not have enough to be in the market for sales.