Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cuba 2018 intervju with Hector Luis Prieto

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmax

Founding Member
Hello dear colleges,

Next week I'm going to Cuba.
Last three days of my journey I wan't to spend on the country side. Pinar del Rio, San Juan y Martinez, San Luis, Santa Damiana, El Corojo...
I'm wondering if you maybe have any questions to ask. If I'm lucky I will try to make an interview with Hector Luis Prieto. I need simple questions for mr. Prieto that we get right answers to expand our huge knowledge concerning tobacco.
:confused:

Thedbs999

Have a wonderful trip. I was in Havana this past September on a cruise from Miami. Only 2 days there. So much to see and do 2 days are not enough time.
Can't wait to go back. Pinar del Rio area is on my next trip when i can have more time without being on a cruise schedule.
Can't wait for your trip report.

Dan

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
2011 Cigar Aficionado article on Hector Luis Prieto: https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/cubas-rising-star-15806 (link to a video at the end of the article is broken).

2016 Cigar Aficionado article, with photos of his tobacco: https://www.cigaraficionado.com/articles/out-of-the-brick-red-soil-a-visit-to-the-prieto-farm-18643

"According to what Prieto told me while I was visiting his farm, he grew six hectares of criollo ’98 tobacco last year..."
[https://halfwheel.com/portraits-hector-luis-prieto]

QUESTIONS:
Prieto apparently plants all his cigar leaf in double rows.
What is the arrangement of the 2 rows (staggered?)? What is the distance between the two rows, and the distance between plants in each single row? What is the spacing between each double row?

And, as a finale, would he allow a humble videographer to take some of the Criollo 98 seed to plant is his back yard in Slovenia?

Bob

Charly

Next week I'm going to Cuba.
Lucky man ! Enjoy your trip !! ;)

Questions :
- what do they use to fertilize the plants ?
- at which point of maturity do they harvest their leaves ?
- and of course : what is the secret recipe of their bethune ! :D

rainmax

Founding Member
QUESTIONS:

Bob

I see, you make your homework.
I read all that I could find on internet about Prieto. This last notes from half wheel I read it just now. Finally some good photographies.
I will try to do my best to answer your questions, specially last one. Even if you didn't ask.

This is the only VIDEO that I found of Cigar Aficionado.

I will also try to find home of Corojo strain. I couldn't find exact location of the vega Santa Ines del Corojo, where Diego Rodriguez found it about 90 years ago. I know it is in El Corojo region not far from Prieto.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
How interesting Rainmax, I have been thinking sense yesterday and want to know if Hector Luis Prieto see any week point in/with criollo#98 and Corojo 99. They look amazing to me but I also know that every thing have one front page and a backside.. It would also be interesting to know his personal first memory about tobacco and tobacco growing.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Quoted from the page :
"... I want people who love cigars to be able to come and stay in the middle of all this – to sit here and smoke some cigars with me, at breakfast if they want.” Tobacco paradise."

Yes ! That's tobacco paradise ! :D
Isn't that what we home tobacco growers do all the time?

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Visiting a finca in a famed tobacco region, like Piñar del Rio, creates a "postcard" impression: beauty, quality, quantity, blue sky. At home, unfortunately, we know about dirt and bugs and viruses and wind storms: reality.

No doubt, Sr. Prieto grows in a blessed area for cigar leaf. But he surely can pass along valuable experience with adversities and pests, which are not highlighted for tourists.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Visiting a finca in a famed tobacco region, like Piñar del Rio, creates a "postcard" impression: beauty, quality, quantity, blue sky. At home, unfortunately, we know about dirt and bugs and viruses and wind storms: reality.No doubt, Sr. Prieto grows in a blessed area for cigar leaf. But he surely can pass along valuable experience with adversities and pests, which are not highlighted for tourists.Bob
Yes but question is also does he speak about those things? I think he can tell about different problems but I ain't that shore that he tells about the growing that he doesn't show. But it would be interesting to hear about. Remember that tobacco is his life and he have a responsibility for his BusinessSo perhaps it a good thing to ask if you can tell any one about some of the answer he gives (if he answer questions that can harm his business). Not that I believe anything should do that. But a good intervju is pretty much about trust from both parts. .

mwaller

I will be growing Criollo 98 from Mr. Prieto's farm this year. A member from another forum stayed at his finca in November, and he was able to get a few seeds for me.

And, as a finale, would he allow a humble videographer to take some of the Criollo 98 seed to plant is his back yard in Slovenia?

Bob

Charly

The seeds I have are loose (not pelleted). I will certainly save seed from the best specimens.

Very good idea ! It would be great to compare this source of criollo 98 to other sources to see if it's better :)

mwaller

I'm very excited to grow this Criollo 98. According to the guy who procured the seeds, Criollo 98 is Mr. Prieto's preferred variety for both shade and sun grown leaf.
I grew a few Criollo 98 plants last year from seed supplied by nwtseeds.com. Those plants grew very tall, but had relatively small leaves that were spaced far apart on the stalk. I think the growth habit was strongly influenced by limited sunlight - my backyard is in shade for the 1st half of the day...
This year, I will grow the Criollo 98 (Prieto) in the front yard where they get as much sun as possible. Stay tuned!

Very good idea ! It would be great to compare this source of criollo 98 to other sources to see if it's better :)

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm back. Happy...sunny and ready for new season. But I didn't get seeds from Prieto. In October he said. But I get some tobacco and cigars. Cuba is beautiful.

fieldwork.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.