• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dark Virginian

mwaller

Did you ever try out one of these Dark Virginian types? Which did/would you choose, and why?

I'm sure there's folks who can share their experience with dark Virginian type tobaccos. I have none. I am already planning next year (I know I'm not the only one). Next year will be nothing but air cured varieties. I was thinking of Goose Creek Red as one of them because I like the name, how it can be pin pointed down to originating from a specific place, the look of the plant, and how skychaser describes it not only as a pipe tobacco, but also usable as a cigar wrapper.

Has anyone compared the three varieties from Northwood - Goose Creek, Shirey, and Stag Horn?

burge

I just found this thread and got some baccy from Larry and I would call his orangey a dark Virginia tobacco. I am not sure what seed he uses. When shredded to me its a natural red.

Alpine

Based on my tasting experience, GCR tastes nothing like a burley. I may have already said this, but to me it tastes like a “double” Virginia: more intense flavour, higher in nicotine (well, my grow at least). Plant form, signs of ripeness and smell while kilning completely different from the burleys I’ve grown. But I’m no genetist for sure. Just my 0.02 $

pier

deluxestogie

Administrator
That study looks at an isolated, specific genetic similarity. It would be like categorizing vegetables by their color alone, or a person's ethnicity by the shape of the toenail on the 3rd toe. A telling comment is their "surprise" that Xanthi, Basma and Izmir don't seem to be related. Doh!

Research published by CORESTA is usually of high quality. I believe this study is properly done, and interesting. But the authors' invalid deductions from the results fall outside the bounds of what the data they reported can support.

So, Goose Creek Red has a toenail shape on its 3rd toe that is similar to that of the burley they evaluated.

Bob

CobGuy

Based on my tasting experience, GCR tastes nothing like a burley. I may have already said this, but to me it tastes like a “double” Virginia: more intense flavour, higher in nicotine (well, my grow at least). Plant form, signs of ripeness and smell while kilning completely different from the burleys I’ve grown. But I’m no genetist for sure. Just my 0.02 $

pier
Sounds like one I'd enjoy in my pipe ... thanks! :)

-Darin