Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dutch Pipe Smoker blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the link.

I'll add a hurrah for John Cotton's. It's true that the FDA will kill this resurrected brand, along with all tobacco blends post 2007. Nobody knows when the current production batch will run out. (If they produce it up to the deadline, the distributors won't be allowed by the FDA to sell it after some date in the summer of 2018.) So they're not planning on making more--ever.

I just checked Pipes And Cigars, and they currently have all the John Cotton's blends in stock. For now, the tins are on sale at $9.50 each. I recommend the 1&2 and the Smyrna. If you like this brand of tinned tobacco, now is the time to empty your retirement account, and buy up a bunch.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/packaged-tobacco/1800125/?s=Product+Name_Asc&w=cotton

OR...you can buy the ingredients from WLT, and make your own!

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Or.. Do both, first bay the original stuff and then see how you self can copy it (and perhaps also makes it better)..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The ingredients for 1&2 and Smyrna are:
  • Lemon Virginia flue-cured
  • Red Virginia flue-cured
  • an Oriental (Prilep is available, though I'm sure the Smyrna product uses Izmir)
  • Cyprian Latakia
Proportions? My guess is that Smyrna is about 20% Latakia. Of the remaining 80%, probably half is Oriental, while the Virginia is heavy on the red. For the 1&2, the Latakia seems a bit higher (maybe 30%), the lemon Virginia dominates the red, and it seems to use a blend of more than one Oriental variety (good news, if you have several different Orientals), with the quantity of Oriental (probably down to maybe 25%) taking a back seat to the quantity of Virginias. I've never attempted these blends, so you'll have to play with the proportions. But even the experiments will be enjoyable.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.