• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fermenting green tobacco without color curing

jonny

im afraid that frost is going to hit before most of my tobacco is ready to harvest.
Has anyone tried the Perique technique with green/unripe tobacco? Or have any ideas of what to do with it?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you've ever made a poncho for yourself, by cutting a hole for your head (and arms) into a garbage bag, you can do the same thing with whole stalks that have to hang in a very dry environment.

As for Perique from green leaf, I've never tried it. It wouldn't be all that different from a twist made of green leaf. Unless you be sure to exclude all air, it will mold.

Bob

The South American rope tobaccos made with uncured tobacco are all done so with tobacco that is clearly ripe, and wilted. There is at least one guy who has done it with a perique. Was it @SmokesAhoy or @squeezyjohn, maybe? It is a high risk proposition, and I think you should do as Bob says: stalk cure.

I fully cured an unripe plant that blew down in a storm two months before I would otherwise have harvested it. 75% Humidity, air movement, stalk curing, moderate temperature 75°F, is the formula for saving unripe tobacco.

And I want to add that tobacco is good down to 28.5°F. I don't recommend pushing your luck, but if all the forecast says, and if you trust said forecast in its relevance to your specific property, 32°, I wouldn't panic.

My forecast called for 25° a couple weeks ago so I picked nearly everything. It only hit 28°, and it's done so multiple times since then, and the small bits of tobacco which are still out there have zero damage.

jonny

Thank you. i was under the impression that tobacco was vary sensitive to the cold.

P.S. We trust no weather forecast...:D

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Small, immature leaves (like those at the growth tip) and young seedlings will freeze in the blink of an eye. So I wouldn't take the risk of 32°F in the spring. By now, most of the tiny leaf isn't going to amount to much anyway. More robust leaves do have a bit of anti-freeze to lower their freezing point.

Bob