• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Gold leaf, a cactus or a hairy animal?...

Gavroche

Yes, it's true, I believe that nobody here grows gold leaf..

Oui, c'est vrai, je crois que personne ici ne fait pousser les feuilles d'or...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Leaf hairs (actually called trichomes) are glandular structures that secrete plant alkaloids, like nicotine, to deter insect predation. Generally speaking, the hairier the leaf, the stickier it feels. It's this secreted nicotine that is rinsed away following a rain.

Although I haven't read any study of sunlight diffraction by trichomes, I'm sure they would have some impact.

Bob

Leaf hairs (actually called trichomes) are glandular structures that secrete plant alkaloids, like nicotine, to deter insect predation. Generally speaking, the hairier the leaf, the stickier it feels. It's this secreted nicotine that is rinsed away following a rain.

Although I haven't read any study of sunlight diffraction by trichomes, I'm sure they would have some impact.

Bob
I was at the Muttart Conservatory http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_events/muttart-conservatory.aspx on the weekend. It is a set of four large pyramid greenhouse gardens, each with their own theme. In the desert pyramid there was a blurb about a plant with hairy leaves on a plaque explaining the light diffraction theory. That's all I know.

Smokin Harley

Bob
I noticed the hairy/stickiness correlation with my harvest. It escapes me which variety it was but I remember when I was priming , just after one row my hands were as if I had dunked them in tar . Which by the way took using Comet and a scrub brush to clean my hands.

DGBAMA

I noticed the hairy/stickiness correlation with my harvest. It escapes me which variety it was but I remember when I was priming , just after one row my hands were as if I had dunked them in tar . Which by the way took using Comet and a scrub brush to clean my hands.
And probably no "need/craving" to smoke for some hours.

Gavroche

The children in the African plantations of fields of tobacco have poisonings

Les enfants dans les plantations africaines de champs de tabac ont des intoxications