• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

GreenDragon's 2018 Log (First grow)

OldDinosaurWesH

I used to set in front of a computer all day. But I've reformed. Now I only set in front of computer when I want to. Big difference!

Now I like to set under a shade tree and watch my tobacco grow. Very relaxing.

Wes H.

GreenDragon

And they say size doesn’t matter. This is a Little Dutch that fell over today from all the rain we’ve had. It’s over 6’ tall. I thought this was supposed to be a dwarf variety!?

! 97D18A6C-75E5-417A-A7F5-7877DC194EAB.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Well, if you hang the body upside down, his its arms dangling, that's maybe not an accurate measure of height. 3' plant + 36" leaf = 3' plant height. Does that thing have branches?

But it does look impressive hanging there. If the plants that I intend to stalk harvest start getting too tall for my 7' high shed, I have to prime the lower leaves, then cut the stalk at that higher level.

Bob

GreenDragon

For example, my Little Dutch vs Levi’s ;)

Seriously though, I think I got my seedling in the ground a good 6 weeks ahead of you Levi. You’ll be surprised how much they will take off all of a sudden when they reach a certain size. It’s like they double overnight.

Attachments

Levi Gross

That’s hilarious and a good sense of humor is a must have in these crazy times! My Little Dutch is the only variety not showing signs of ripening other than the Semois. I hope they hit a growth spurt soon.

GreenDragon

All my primed leaf has now fully color cured. It's time to start fermenting / kilning them while the rest finishes curing on the stalk. As we are in full Texas summer mode (100F+ degree days) I plan on putting the leaf in the attic as a pre-built kiln :) Daytime temps should be around 130-140F during the day. My only hold up is in finding some bags to put the leaf in to maintain proper humidity during the fermentation process. Any suggestions?

Also, I found this little cutie munching on one of my Little Dutch. I will spare you the gory details of his ultimate demise. (Spoiler! His a** got stomped into the ground!)

Attachments

BarG

Founding Member
An impressive worm, I had no worms this year. I found no eggs and only had i plant ravaged.I used liquid sevin when I thought they might be ripe for moth.

GreenDragon

Well, I think my attic kilning experiment seems to be working well so far. Bought a couple of Rubbermaid tubs instead of bags. Wet the tobacco down with a mixture of 50/50 water and rum, and packed it into the tubs. I separated layers of different varieties with a piece of thick construction paper. Since the tubs don’t seal airtight I had to add some additional water at the two week point. Took them down last night to do a more complete check. So far so good. Strong aroma of raisins and vanilla mixed with tobacco and a slight touch of ammonia. Even the wife said it smelled fantastic! I let them sit with the lids off overnight to offgas the ammonia, then wet them down again for two more weeks in the attic.

Attachments

GreenDragon

I forgot to mention that the tubs were full to the top when they first went into the attic! I guess they steam compressed themselves.