Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Home Grown Tobacco Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanKelly

Looking for you guys to rate your home grown tobacco quality.

On a scale of 1-5 how good was your tobacco compared to Commercial Quality?

5 - Better then Commercial Quality (Expecting few if any people will be here)
4 - About Commercial Quality
3 - Slightly Below Commercial Quality
2 - Well Below Commercial Quality
1 - Unsmokeable

ChinaVoodoo

I would like to mention that a 5 point Likert scale should have the neutral position as 3, not 4.

There is a range from 2 to 5 In my tobacco

There were a couple tobaccos in 2015 that were 2s. They would rate higher if I grew them again.

All of my flue cured tobacco is 5.

ChinaVoodoo

I didn't have time to hang my MD609 and Adonis, and they started to degrade in a way that after finally hanging and curing, they are brittle and hydrophobic and have a strange taste.

My Criollo was planted in poor soil and light and didn't really grow well.

Oh, and I've never had luck with Orientals. I think it's my climactic conditions in Canada.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree with your implicit assumption that "commercial quality" is a standard to which one should aspire, and that somehow artisanal tobacco is likely of lower quality than factory stuff. I seriously rate many commercial tobaccos as unsmokable. Some are smokable. A rare few are excellent.

Most of my own cigars are better than all but a rare few commercial cigars. All of my pipe tobaccos are superior to anything available on the market.

On a scale of 1 to 5, how good is your mother's home cooking?

5 - Better than McDonalds (Expecting few if any people will be here)
4 - About McDonalds Quality
3 - Slightly Below McDonalds Quality
2 - Well Below McDonalds Quality
1 - Inedible

So... Why are you asking your demeaning question about home-grown tobacco? Is this a school assignment?

Bob

Moth

1 - Inedible

Sadly my ma's cooking is a solid 1.
Thankfully pa' taught me to cook.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I disagree with your implicit assumption that "commercial quality" is a standard to which one should aspire, and that somehow artisanal tobacco is likely of lower quality than factory stuff. I seriously rate many commercial tobaccos as unsmokable. Some are smokable. A rare few are excellent.

Most of my own cigars are better than all but a rare few commercial cigars. All of my pipe tobaccos are superior to anything available on the market.

1 - Inedible

So... Why are you asking your demeaning question about home-grown tobacco? Is this a school assignment?

Bob
Bob If MacDonald's get 5 point I think my mother gets 11. I only wish she had a drive in when she make 'Meat Pot' that is something she never going to learn to cook..
-But to be honest I think that I would have eaten that instead of a burger at MacDonald's..

stic

I grew my own for the first time last year,. Complete novice, probably stuffed it up in the curing stage a wee bit, but ended up with 12 plants at approx 8 feet, some nice large leaves and I pile cured and then air cured it giving me enough tobacco to last about 7 months.

While I didn't flavour it, it was a passable smoke, around a 3 on this scale.

This year, I plan to harvest, cure and age it (surviving off of the excellent Whole leaf i am currently smoking)...

Levi Gross

And one other opinion is that if the leaf I grew sucks then it was either a poor quality strain, or wasn’t cured right so the let down is my own. With “commercial” blended tobacco your always sure to be let down and the cause could be poor tobacco and poor quality additives. You decide

burge

Well the competition is commercial quality and it sucks compared to what you get from Don or Big. To grow for me being in a apartment wouldn't work and even if I got leaves no place to cure them properly. I know the guy at work said the new lemon was the best he has had. Not sure where this batch is from but its different from prior years.

Ben Brand

99% of the cigars I smoke are my home grown tobacco. I do smoke commercial cigars and my cigars are up there with any of them!
I only grow 4 kinds of fillers, experimented with loads of varieties, and came up with these 4 fillers: Little Dutch, Long Red, Conn B Leaf and Penn Red.
Still playing a bit with the wrappers.
The only thing I don`t have from commercial cigars, are the strength. That is fine, I don`t like strong cigars.

skychaser

My first reply was short and a bit flippant, so I will elaborate and tell you what I really think.

I smoke a pipe now and then. Almost never smoke cigars. So I can't really speak to the quality of those two. I would assume some of the high end cigars you can buy are pretty good. At least I would hope so. But when it comes to commercial cigarettes, I can tell you home grown tobacco is immensely better.

I smoked Camels for years. I always thought they were pretty darn good smokes until they changed the blend about 10 years ago. I hate the new blend. The old blend had a Turkish strain in it that gave them a slightly sweet flavor and a wonderful aroma. (at least to me) I used to say I could sniff out a Camel at 100 yards. I LOVED the Camel exotic blends until the gov forced them off the market. Anyone else remember these? http://cigarettesportal.com/camel-exotic-blends/

Camel changed the blend about the same time Good King Barry raised all the feds tobacco taxes from 100 to 2000%. Our state already had the highest state tax in the nation, but decided it was a good time to add even more. I think WA is now a close 2nd to NY. We used to switch back and forth with them but I really don't keep up on it, or care anymore. This was my breaking point where I decided F*** THEM ALL, I'll grow my own! Of course everyone told me I couldn't grow it in my area, including my local WSDA agent. Needless to say, I didn't listen to them.

I made lots of mistakes my first year, like most people do, but still ended up with a pretty good crop. I grew up on a farm and have had a garden all my life so that gave me some advantages over a lot of first year growers. Curing and drying was the most difficult to master. I saw my fair share of mold and a few flash drys green. It's a bit of an art, but not really that difficult once you learn how to adapt the process to your local climate and the facilities you have to work with.

I tried smoking some of my first crop a couple weeks after it had dried, and it was AWFUL! I would have rated it a 1 at best. I didn't know about aging then and how important it was. I boxed it up and tried to forget about it. About 9 months later I decided to give it another try before I tossed it all. And holy flirking snit! What a difference! I have not bought a pack since.

I found a forum full of people who had all the answers I was still looking for. A lot of them are here on FTT now. Armed with some knowledge, in year two I went all in and grew several different strains and it didn't take me long to replicate my old beloved Camels. Except for one difference. Mine tasted even better! For years I had smoked what I thought was pretty good tobacco, but I was wrong. I had never smoked 100% pure, unprocessed, unaltered leaf before. There is really no comparison to commercial cigarettes.

The other big difference I noticed was in what commercial cigs had been doing to me. After decades of smoking I had a bit of a smokers cough. Not bad, but kind of a constant throat clearing cough. If I took a really deep breath, I had a little rasp at the bottom and 3-4 deep breaths would make me cough. After 2 months of smoking my home grown it all went away. No cough, no rasping. I used to get some pretty bad migraines and those seemed to stop about then too. I would never tell anyone smoking my home grown is harmless, but I KNOW it is a hell of a lot less harmful than what I used to smoke. I've learned a lot more over the years about the tobacco industry and commercial cigs. Like the fact they are up to 40% stems, flying's and paper mixed with the tobacco as fillers. And the 599 additives allowed by the government. I bum a smoke from someone now and then just to see how they taste to me. I taste C grade tobacco and chemicals. Hard to believe I used to like them now.

If you want to smoke real quality pure leaf tobacco, grow your own. Or buy it from Don or BB. You will be much happier and your wallet will be much fatter. And the endlessly greedy tax man will get nothing.

SeanKelly

DeluxeStogie: I see your point... commercial quality is what I have experience with. Definitely not a school assignment, but a personal one... to create the best tobacco I can, even if few people know it.

drinkthekoolaid

Camel exotic blends.. what a trip down memory lane. I used to smoke Wides with an exotic as a treat . Sometimes a clove now and then.

Oh, and cant forget "Daves" they was just ok...

skychaser

Camel exotic blends.. what a trip down memory lane. I used to smoke Wides with an exotic as a treat . Sometimes a clove now and then.

Oh, and cant forget "Daves" they was just ok...

I had forgotten about the Wides. There were Blues too but I don't recall what was different about those. I never got to try many of the exotic blends. Some were made in very limited amounts and only available through their magazine. Others were more widely distributed and were available at tobacco stores. I liked Izmir Stingers, Mandarin Mint and Twist. Stingers were sweet, Mandarin Mint was, well minty like the name says and Twist had a sweet orange flavor. I've always been partial to sweet tobaccos.

I got to smoke a Cinnzbar about a year ago from the only pack I have ever seen. It was one of their very limited production blends with cinnamon . A friend of mine was smart enough to start buying up the exotic blends on e-bay more than a decade ago. Cinnzbar is a very rare find now. He has quite a collection. Not all, but most. Every now and then he breaks open a pack for special occasions. He still buys them when they come up for sale, which isn't often anymore. The ones he bought 10 years ago are worth 5 to 10 times what he paid for them now. Some maybe more. He brought over two packs of Mandarin Mint on my birthday a year ago. He opened one pack and we smoked it. He gave me the other pack. I keep it in my safe. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.