• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

How much mold before you toss

davek14

I generally smoke a Burley and Bright. I stove the 'baccy lightly, roll it into cigar like things and press it overnight. My pressed rolls will mold if you look at them wrong if jarred, on the ends usually. So I sit them out and dice them as I get time.

It's a process getting the taste just right and I play with different proportions and mix different batches together to get it how I like it.

I lately had a mason jar full just about right and put it up to marry after pressing it all again. Just cracked the jar and found some mold. I'd inadvertently left some pressed chunks in there and all the chunks had mold on them. I just picked them all out pretty well, but I'm sure there is a little mold on what's left since they were mixed in.

It's a good batch and a big batch. Would you toss it? Tastes fine.

CobGuy

Personally, If I see mold I assume it's throughout the entire contents and toss it.
I sterilize all utensils and try not to jar anything up while still in high case for this reason.
Sorry for the loss!

~Darin