• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

In search of Bright Virginia Shag. Hello from the coast Maine.

I have not been able to to find a good Bright Virginia Shag hand rolling. I'm currently smoking a good Virginia shag being sold as a pipe tobacco. It may be some of the best tobacco I've had since the end Three Castles. It is beautiful gold & light red, fragrant & a perfect moisture. I really like it! In fact probably the finest BVS tobacco available to American smokers today. The reason I'm interested in creating my own blend is it seems to hurt my lungs. Pipe tobacco isnt meant to be inhaled is it? Anything simaler to Three Castles, Golden Virginian, Auld kendal Golden or any of the blends no longer being made or not available in the US market... Can anyone point me in the direction of any info on:
  • Classic BVS, Shags, Fine Cut, Hand Rolling blends & blending
  • Casings, toppings, Fermenting & Ageing
  • Storing, Jarring, Home tinning & Labeling(for home use & sharing)
  • Insights, Images, Memories of Blends long gone bye...
If anyone has any info they could pass on. It would be greatly appreciated! Wilbur Coast of Maine

English shags & fine cut hand rolling Baccy's....

Trying to imitate the fine English tobacco's of my youth! Anyone's trials & error's, tips,etc..
s3castles.jpg Auld_Kendal_Gold_Hand_Rolling_Tobacco_in_a_tin.jpg auld-kendal-menthol-golden-blend-loose-hand-rolling-tobacco1.jpg

I don't mind buying from any supplier. I was hoping to learn from other members trial & error's. It seems like getting a uniform ulra fine shag is going to be the trickiest part?
1737-golden.jpg

Matty

Matty

Re: English shags & fine cut hand rolling Baccy's....

Uually I'm with VA red and VA lemon or bright from WLT. After that I'll kick it up with some burley, sometimes a little oriental/turkish, fircured, latakia or a bit of all of them. Just the red and bright leaf makes a good smoke. I like it better after it's been compressed in a carotte for 2-4 weeks before shredding. If this is still not hitting the flavour you're looking for WLT sells a few casings but I've never tried them.

Matty

All I can suggest really is to get some leaf and start blending. Everyone has their own blend. Mine changes with the season, the weather, my mood and is also different day to day, which I like and is why I got into this hobby.

Matty

Also, I have at my disposal several different batches of pipe coins that are ready to go, I choose a single variety, like the red, as my base and then start seasoning with the coins and maybe a bit of other "spice" tobaccos. Just like blending perfume, start with a base then the heart and top notes.

Also, I have at my disposal several different batches of pipe coins that are ready to go, I choose a single variety, like the red, as my base and then start seasoning with the coins and maybe a bit of other "spice" tobaccos. Just like blending perfume, start with a base then the heart and top notes.
Awsome! I've been a brewer by trade for years, so I think i have a decent nose. This hobby has just become that much more interesting! Cant wait to get some WLT! Are you a hand roller? If not do you know if your coin & slice method works well for hand rolling?

Matty

I do it all. There are factors in using my slicer to cut shag that is for sure. The carotte can not be too large a diameter or it is difficult to cut thin; 1/2"-3/4" diameter is very controllable. Case (humidity) is also very important, too dry and it will just crumble to dust, same is true for any other shredding procedure. Also the sharper the blades, the thinner the cut; dull blades push the tobacco around and sharp ones cut as the tobacco stays still. Anything is possible when you DIY.

Matty

Drum is the finest I've ever smoked. It would take a lot of care and patience to get it that fine but it is not impossible. I like drum, haven't had it in years because of all the tobacco I already own. In my opinion it doesn't really need to be that fine to provide a great easy rolling smoke, even though I do appreciate the ultra fine shag cut. You'll find new favourites (and some dislikes, it's unavoidable) as you get into the "whole leaf" hobby, I guarantee.

Drum Really Hopefully before Republic(TOP) bought them out cause wow... if you like that you should try some Virginia Gold. You see the pics I've attached? Well Matty PM me your snail mail addy and i'll send a 1/4oz for For helpful posts...! You might find a little mild but just blend in a little of one of your coins. Your in for a treat! My Brother went to England over the holiday's and brought me back as much as he could legally carry...:D Just let me know if you'd like to try some Bright Virginia Shag Wilbur