Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Is there any way to mellow out shredded tobacco ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnH

My wife used to smoke Misty light 100s , 7 to 10 sticks per day , and about 4
months ago we decided to go with stuffing our own , using TGS natural tobacco
/ gambler 100 light tubes / premier light 100s tubes , and after about a week
the smoke started biting her tongue and has gotten progressively worse to the
point of numbness after the second puff , also have tried Virgina Orange whole
leaf shredded to the same as the TGS and still the same result . Any ideas how
to mellow out the tobacco ?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Re: Is there anyway to mellow out shredded tobacco ?

I'd recommend trying a different brand of tobacco. The TGS brand might just be cheap tobacco. In pipe smoking tongue bite is common when a lot of Virginia (flue cured) is used or there is a lot of casing (flavorings). I've never heard of this with cigarettes so that makes me suspect the TGS brand is the culprit.

Darkthirty

Re: Is there anyway to mellow out shredded tobacco ?

Been smoking southern steel pipe tobacco using gambler tube cut skins. Had an allergic reaction to whatever it is that makes packaged cigarettes quit burning. $15 a pound for the tobacco=$1 a pack.

JohnH

Have switched to whole leaf , having problems with tongue bite
to the point of numbness , currently trying disposable "tar block "
plastic filters which is helping quite a bit , but not completely .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Have switched to whole leaf , having problems with tongue bite
to the point of numbness , currently trying disposable "tar block "
plastic filters which is helping quite a bit , but not completely .

What types of tobacco are you using and what ratios? Tongue bite is usually from Bright Leaf (aka Virginia)

burge

That is easy. To mellow tobacco you need to soak it. let it dry and soak it again. I am assuming your using bigs orangey yellow I am Canadian and found it really strong. that mellows it out. Jist be careful not to overly soak it as you lose the nicotine and flavor. Try zen blue tubes they are super light. Tired some here and could barely get a drag compared to export A green. If the leaf is not destemmed just quickly fill the vapour proof bag with water and empty it right away. It does not change the tobacco color. hang the leaves to dry. You can do that twice and then shred that will work as well.
to mellow out the tobacco.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
WRONG !
"That is easy. To mellow tobacco you need to soak it. let it dry and soak it again."

Nicotine & flavor are highly soluable, you'll pour it out with the water, and very high risk of mold if the tobacco is too wet.
Yes, it's mild, because there is nothing left worth smoking.

davek14

Boiling, and I assume soaking will mellow out the tobacco I guess. With boiling it gives a kind of "different" taste. It's something I could see doing if you really wanted something to smoke badly enough, but not a real permanent solution for sure.

I don't know if this would apply to cigarette tobacco, but stoveing will reduce tongue bite in pipe tobacco. It works well with burley, and I think Virginia as well.

It will give the tobacco a kind of an "earthy" taste. It will greatly reduce the complexity of the flavors as well. The final product will kind of go toward a "median" flavor which is often about the same no matter what you started with. It's a good flavor (to me), but I will only do it if tongue bite is a problem as there are better flavors to be had. The temps used will also kill enzymes which age the tobacco and stop aging.

Anymore, I will try it with a small amount first to see if it is a "win" or not.

ZigZagZeppelin

to mellow out the tobacco ?

I have the answer to "tongue bite" from Virginia Flu Cured tobacco. You must "case" it yourself for best results. I have a thread here in this "cigarette tobacco" section regarding how to. All natural products: distilled water, a 8 oz misting bottle from Walmart, natural honey (no additives type) and buy a few lemons. This will make enough casing for the wife and yourself.

Spread the shred out on a tray, mist it good, a few sprays all around.....Let it all dry (takes about an hour).......it will DEFINITELY remove sharpness!

HERES HOW: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7654-Homemade-VFC-quot-casing-quot

burge

WRONG !
"That is easy. To mellow tobacco you need to soak it. let it dry and soak it again."

Nicotine & flavor are highly soluable, you'll pour it out with the water, and very high risk of mold if the tobacco is too wet.
Yes, it's mild, because there is nothing left worth smoking.

The secret is not to overly soak the tobacco. When its pressed that liquid is reabsorbed into the tobacco. I have never had any issue with mold mind you in a low humidity climate. A lot of the more expensive tobaccos uses this process for aging there leaf.

burge

The Three Castles Auld Kendal or Kendal Gold When they boil the tobacco or heat treat it mold is unlikely to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.