• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Keeping a pack of MYO cigerettes fresh

I've been wondering, If I made cigarettes with homegrown tobacco, how would I keep those cigarettes fresh? As in, prevent them from becoming too dry or harsh and store them properly?

Would a foil-sealed cardboard-like box with that silver paper inside of it work, as the big companies do it? What should I be on the lookout for?

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
you're going to get some drying regardless of what you do, just as a new pack of commercial cigs starts to dry as soon as you open it. And their packaging ain't that great, buy a pack, let sit for a few months, then open to dry cigs.
I recommend a tightly-sealed plastic container, will work for a few weeks if full of cigs (less air space). Zip-Loc

For my new rolled cigs, and stored shredded baccy, in sealed containers, I use the following:
cut a 3 or 4 inch square piece of aluminum foil,
take a piece of paper towel, folded several times, but smaller than foil piece,
wet the paper towel & squeeze out excess water,
set foil over the baccy in your container, with the wet paper on top, then seal the container.
This will create a moist environment inside your container, keeping your baccy in case.

Never let the moist paper touch the cigs or baccy, this may lead to mold, as will an excessively wet wet paper towel, or too large of wet paper towel piece for the amount of stored cigs/baccy.
Check the paper towel every couple weeks, re-moisten as necessary.
This works for me, your mileage may vary !

burge

When I first started with leaf the tobacco dried out a lot quicker due to no chemicals casings or additives. I tend to roll as many as I need. The type of shred also determines how the tobacco will dry in the tube.