Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive used the new '' overhead oscilating sprinklers,

..javascript:;

and to my opinion, they suck,,,,

now the older ones that are made of all metal,,,have worked really fine for me in the past,,, unfortunatlly i cant find one . at flea-markets or yard sales, ive been looking for the past 6 months,

id like to have had, a drip line in use this year,, but thats gonna have to wait till next year,

on e-bay i found some vintage old sprinklers,,,,{ i dont know how to post the pic, of them,?????}

any one considering of getting a plastic, oscilating sprinkler, i'd suggest against it,, they are crap///

BarG

Founding Member
I use the stationary full circle sprinkler that adjusts to any radius you want. It shoots out to 15 to 40 " depending on if you want more of a shower or a jet stream. Mine are cast aluminum and they hold up great as long as you dont mow or till over them.:rolleyes: Home depot and lowes have them like 2 for $18.00.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
check out senninger irrigation. Their heads are based on an 1800's washing machine patent. They are used in commercial irrigation but I made some pvc stands and use them in the yard and garden. Closest thing to rain I've found.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I was running low on time and money so I collected up some change out of my change bucket and got this

http://www.menards.com/main/lawn-ga...t-oscillating-sprinkler/p-1498098-c-10123.htm

Cheapo, yes, plastic, yes but for some odd reason I had no problems with it what so ever. I put a pvc pip through the legs just so that it didn't topple over but it seemed to work fine.

Chicken, I was thinking this summer how it got so hot during the day I was scared about burning the leaf of the plant from overhead watering. Would some kind of mix between drip irrigation and flood irrigation be more practical?

I think about the "hose wands" for garden use that has the adjustable head (Fan, Angle vertical, angle horizontal, jet, soaker), that "soaker" type output would be good down the rows of the plants I would think, good output and no risk of damaging leaves

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Michibaccy-This is the sprinkler head I was talking about operates with as little as 10psi. www.senninger.com
[h=1]Wind Resistant Pattern with Extremely Uniform Coverage[/h]
xcelwobblers_main.jpg
[h=3]Outstanding Uniformity – Low Vibration[/h]Senninger Xcel-Wobbler employs a unique off-center rotary action that provides extremely uniform distribution pattern over a large area. Its counter balance design produces smooth, stable performance. It produces droplets which resist wind drift and are distributed in a gentle rain-like pattern. It is extremely durable with only one moving part.
The Xcel-Wobbler is constructed entirely of engineering grade thermoplastics for excellent corrosion resistance.
[h=3]Features[/h]Models:
- High angle – multi-level throw approximately 29-degrees (black deflector)
- Mid angle – multi-level throw approximately 18-degrees (white deflector)
Flows: 0.78 – 6.97 gpm (177 – 1583 L/hr)
Sprinkler Base Pressure: 10 – 25 psi (0.69 – 1.72 bar)
Connection: 1/2” or 3/4” M NPT
Backed by 2-year warranty on materials, workmanship and performance
Color-coded nozzles for easy size identification, 5-year warranty on nozzle orifice
xcelwobbler3.jpg
XcelWobFieldSA07.jpg

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
that ^^^^^ sprinkler system looks good, but for bacca, i believe id rather have the pvc pipe running above the crop. with the sprinkler heads facing down,

Boboro

I use the plastic sprinkelrs on t post when plants are young and when its really dry, and I use nylondrip hose.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I bought drip to use at the base of the plant. I have some of those sprinkler heads on portable pvc stands I made to drag around and be portable. I thought I would put my drip down with emitters spaced three feet aparts. Put one seedling under each emitter and then use the sprinkler over the whole area to compact the soil and cut down erosion in case the first rain is a hard one. Then switch to the drip as needed. The past few years we haven't had any showers like we use to get. All we get now is thunder storms that dump a flood down on us in just a little while. I'd just use the spray type sprinkler that one time after transplant. One reason I wouldn't want to use those type sprinklers full time on tobacco is because of the weeds I'd be watering too. But they are good in a vegetable garden where the plants are closer together. Some of the ones I'm using are over 20 years old. That's durable. i just suggested them as an option for Chicken since he was having trouble with his. They work with as little as 10 psi water pressure. And it's the closest thing to rain I've seen. Very even watering. Chicken you can run them overhead but the heads would still need to point up and the water would go up and out in an arc. The droplets are pretty good size though like rain and it would take some very high wind to blow the drops off course. I was watering a patch of daddys fescue in his yard the other day and we got some 20-25 mph gusts that only shifted the water pattern 12-18 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.