Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Looking for Olson 68

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrflufay

Im looking for olson 68 ( i think thats what its called). I donthave much. I have 2 varieties given to me by an O'odham elder. 1 is a rustica variety and the other is a tabacum variety. He said its been in his family since the 1860s-ish (and probably long before that). He was a friend of my grandfather so i believe him. Also looking for other varieties so just ask if intrested.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
They have a true name. You should identify them with the name of the O'odham elder who lovingly sustained them, qualified by "rustica" or "tabacum". That's how most heirloom vegetables are named.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I most say that Bob have right on this. If I have done my lesson right most of the older variants got the name after location (so also to day if you take KY- Kentucky for example). But that ain't that important..

Mrflufay

I asked his son and he said that he didnt even know tobaccos had varieties. Probably wont get the variety unless i can preform a seance.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think you shall grow them and bag the flowers. I have pretty much different variants and much of them are old variants, think it is very interesting.Some variants have been growing under two names. Little wood also have the name Green Wood. And 1972 (if I don't mistake one the year) a new version was getting out on the market. That name is: Little wood and the original version turned into the name Green wood. So before 1972 variant named Little wood to day is what we call Green wood.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Theres really no need to bag them since nobody in my area grows tobacco and i only grow these two varieties.
That is your choice, but I recommend you to do it. If it is a"primitive" variant the Seed capsules tends to open by them self. So you can bag it for different reasons..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
From the description I wouldn't bother bagging them either, sounds like they never have before. Why start now?

If you do grow them this season pls take lots of pictures

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I don't bag all of my followers ether, only the plant I decided to save seed from. But it is really something etch grower have to decide.

BarG

Founding Member
I used to to think being rural I was unique, I am not. It is becoming more prevalent than you might think [SHOUTOUT FOR FTT] because peeps are tired of paying for the right to smoke and fund who knows what with taxes and SHIT.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you searched within 1 mile of your garden for any wild tobacco: Nicotiana rustica, N. bigelovii, N. attenuata? It is possible, though unlikely, that N. tabacum pollen can pollinate N. rustica. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/181-Tobacco-Varieties-Before-Columbus

Cross-species outcomes: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/7679-N-Tabacum-x-N-Rustica?p=141167&viewfull=1#post141167

If your two varieties are of value to you, then I would suggest bagging at least one typical specimen of each of the two that you grow.

Bob

EDIT: How far are you from Fullerton Arboretum? Sherman Library and Gardens?

Mrflufay

Im 9 miles from the Arboretum and 18 from Sherman library. But is there even a chance that pollen could go so far in an urban setting.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I mean they do open up but i already get so much seeds as it is theres not really that big of a loss.
I hope you take some pictures on the growing. It would absolute be interesting to see them. And I have been grow some variants that have been growing with out bagged seed/flowers. It shall take around 5 generation (tobacco) to get it clean again. Old variants have often bad resistance and other problems so it perhaps doesn't matter that much. But also It's fantastic to have a seed bank to return to (like a museum) with old tobacco variants (and others things). I live in a country that have been growing "much" back in the day. But when we quit no one took responsibility of the seed. So we have a death tobacco seed bank. Only some N.Rustica have survived (wild). And One N.Tabacum have been growing in gardens over the year. But some variants have later been re-created in Germany. I have one of those and the earliest information about it that I know is from 1921 (but I think it's even older).

Status
Not open for further replies.