Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Looking for Olson 68

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I am pretty bad on N.Rustica variants but I think on "Aztec" or "Sultan Albanian" when I see that picture. But it can be a huge number of variants. I will see if I have some seed of N.Rustica Bolsunov,Tall green(#317) or perhaps Soviet to give you. I don't have Olson#68 yet (but I hope to grow it soon).

Mrflufay

Oh and i did search around for some wild nicotiana. It looked like obtusifolia or clevelandii. It took me a good hour and a half of walking around to find just one plant.

Mrflufay

Well this fella doesn't branch so much like aztec does my guess is it is a cross between some super old variety from southern mexico and hopi, since the hopi are near the o'odham.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
You know what, I use to get allergic reaction on word like "super old" but in this case I didn't feel any symptoms. Your location scream ABSOLUTELY CORRECT ANSWER.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Looks like a pumila type as it doesn't have the ruffling of Brasilia's. How large were the leaves? Most pumila are pretty small but many have high % alkaloid

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Looks like a pumila type as it doesn't have the ruffling of Brasilia's. How large were the leaves? Most pumila are pretty small but many have high % alkaloid
I agree when looking at the location of the flowers and the shape of the leaves, I say it is a pure racial N.Rustica. For some, it can be crossed (consciously or unconsciously) with another pure N.Rustica

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Im 9 miles from the Arboretum and 18 from Sherman library. But is there even a chance that pollen could go so far in an urban setting.
Tobacco is mostly self-pollinated, that is, about 90% of the pollination occurs within the blossom, just prior to its opening. After that, pollination is almost entirely insect-borne. So a fine mesh cloth, fine enough to keep out flies, bumblebees and moths, is sufficient as a barrier.

Studies have demonstrated insect-mediated cross-pollination from plants separated by 1/2 mile. I think 1 mile is a generous safety margin. Sounds like you're in the clear.

Bob

OldDinosaurWesH

For a ready to use and easily obtained "bag" to prevent cross pollination go to the local lumber yard and get a 5 gallon paint strainer. They cost about $1.25 each.

Wes H.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Jessica's thesis on rusticas, a lot of good info but tossup if yours is in here or not. That's the problem with scrubbing names, i it's nearly impossible to id later. That's why we go through such pains here to preserve specific genetics with proven lineage.But at the end of the day if you like it and it's a predictable grower it's a keeperLink to PDFhttps://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/bitstream/handle/1840.16/8345/etd.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y
Absolutely and that is also little bit way I bag the flowers on plant I will grow again. I also against abbreviations because it can create Confusion.My problem is more if you don't like a variant and think that it was a other variant than it was for real.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Works on the phone, I dunno, that's where it is at any rate. Probably just need to poke around a bit.

Jessica nifong rustica will pull it up

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"EICKHOLT, DAVID PATRICK JOSEPH. Evaluating a Novel Method of Inbreeding in
Tobacco and Investigating the Economic Value of an Introgressed Nicotiana tomentosa
Chromosome Segment Influencing Leaf Number. (Under the direction of Dr. Ramsey
Lewis.)"
Jessica's name only appears once, in an acknowledgement.

This page contains the proper link: https://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/handle/1840.16/2541

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.