Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New WholeLeafTobacco.com site to launch soon.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Just a heads up...

FairTradeTobacco.com will be integrated with WholeLeafTobacco.com when the new site is launched. The home page will have a dedicated spot where the "what's new" listings will be. All you have to do to get to the forum is click on the title (Fair Trade Tobacco Forum).

Please feel free to express any concerns, questions or comments about the format.

One thing I'd really like your opinion on is...."Free seeds". I'd guess about 70% of the people who register only do so for the free seeds. The thought behind giving away seeds is the people who get free seeds will become contributing members. Do you think there should be some kind of restriction on the free seeds or should I just leave it alone?

If you want to send me a PM with your opinion, that would be fine too.

Thanks,
Don

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Yes and no. You will be able to keep your bookmark for FairTradeTobacco, but it will be redirected. This will only be a problem is you have your security setting too high and then you will only get a warning that you are being redirected to another site. Once you're in the Fair Trade Tobacco Forums, there will be no other Whole Leaf Tobacco pages to navigate through...just the first one...the home page for WLT.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I should add...

The home page for WLT will be live in that there will be an active blog, updates on "tobacco laws" and "latest arrivals"...among other things that you might be interested in viewing.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Free seeds? That's really your call because you are the one doing all the work. Personally, I would not give free seeds to people just because they register. I'd offer free seeds to people that have some growing experience under their belt that way I'd probably get some real feedback and hopefully some seed in return.

Just my 2 cents worth

Randy B

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I think the participation for free seeds works well because the people most likely to need seeds are the ones looking to get their feet wet. I registered back when it was another offer and under those guidelines would likely be set for several lifetimes lol.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the current conditions provide for 4 - 5 times the amount that can be smoked in a year and you can always get more as long as you participate in the forum.

The people who only join for the initial free 100 seeds and disappear, could do the same as long as they harvest their seeds ;)

justintempler

One thing I'd really like your opinion on is...."Free seeds". I'd guess about 70% of the people who register only do so for the free seeds. The thought behind giving away seeds is the people who get free seeds will become contributing members. Do you think there should be some kind of restriction on the free seeds or should I just leave it alone

Make them work for it.... Free seeds after X number of posts. If the people are serious it shouldn't be a problem. After 5,10, 20 posts (whatever you decide) then they can get their free seeds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that maintaining a seed bank with a wide selection of seed varieties is important for us and for the future. Since there is no government funding for the FTT seed bank, I believe that selling packets of the seed is the only way that its maintenance can be sustained over the long term. A price of $2 to $4 per packet (~100 seeds) is inexpensive and reasonable, even when compared to commonly available vegetable seeds, and should be in addition to the cost of appropriately shipping the seed. [A small #00 bubble envelope and postage approach $2 per shipment--up to about 10 packets.] Forum members might be offered the seed at a 20% discount, perhaps associated with a posting count requirement, though the shipping fee should remain.

If all the seed is free, then maintaining the seed bank and its records, periodically growing-out the varieties, packaging the seed and mailing it out all become a non-productive expenditure of time and energy for what should be recognized by all home growers as a valuable resource currently available nowhere else.

If the free seed packet offer for new members has been a significant incentive for membership, then continuing the practice of sending a single packet seems reasonable, with no demands for posts or expertise. If the result of the offer has not been particularly beneficial to membership growth, then I would suggest discontinuing it.

Many growers are willing to spend considerable sums on their tobacco growing supplies and equipment. Offering the wide variety of tobacco seed available from the FTT seed bank for a modest cost is not out of line with the expectations of any grower of any agricultural product.

Bob

ChuckP

Howdy Don,

Looking forward to the new site. Thanks for all your hard work!! Is the baccy you have listed this years? Are you going to have any more Havana 142 for sale?
Thanx, Chuck.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Chuck,

Most of the tobacco listed is "aged". I'm trying not to sell fresh tobacco due to quality issues. The principle is basically the same as with home growers in that the first crop should be 3 times what is needed so by the end of the third year, you'll be smoking 3 year old tobacco. I'm trying to secure as much leaf as possible so I can extend this philosophy in the way Whole Leaf Tobacco sells its product.

I don't have any 142, but BB does have a Havana variety.

BarG

Founding Member
Damn. No wonder my monte dont smoke right. The later in the year the better it smokes. Espescially when I mix with virg inia bright leaf.

Daniel

Banned
I really wish I had room for 3 years of tobacco. I managed a 4 month supply this year. I am hoping to double that next year.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have 2011 crop Havana . I have been letting it hang to let it color cure as much as I possibly can . There was some color cured green in it that seems to be leaving out .
My Dark Air had some color cured green in it and most if not all the green cast has left out of the leaves now .
My CT Broadleaf has some color cured green in some of the leaves , it is slowly comming out .
I let some 2010 burley crop hang through the summer sweat it came out quickly .

O.S.O.K.

Wholeleaftobacco.... sounds good. So does Fairtradetobacco IMHO... but the whole leaf stresses that aspect - not processed. I haven't gotten any free seeds yet but I plan to. Wouldn't mind if a site contribution was required. This is a very informative site and everyone has been very receptive to the noob. ;)

BarG

Founding Member
I bet you'll only be redirected the first time you visit, after that it will be on your favorites list and you will have a direct connect. I keep WLT on direct connect also, where do you think I get all them fine cigar rolling leaves from?

ChuckP

... Most of the tobacco listed is "aged". I'm trying not to sell fresh tobacco due to quality issues. The principle is basically the same as with home growers in that the first crop should be 3 times what is needed so by the end of the third year, you'll be smoking 3 year old tobacco. ...

Howdy and Happy New Year!!

I have to agree with BarG. I was wondering what type of process you had that made you're baccy so tasty. Time -- The Secret Ingredient! :D