Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Norrlander (latitude 63.57)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norrlander

So today I finally put my first ever tobacco seeds on some soil. I know it's a very late start, but as yet I have no greenhouse, only one small window and there is still snow on the ground in the shady places...

Like some other folk, until I found this forum I didn't know where best to buy seeds, so the four varieties I'm trying are not fully identified (ebay purchase). They came labelled as follows:
Virginia Gold
Oriental Samson
Kentucky Burley
Maryland.

I've started very small, with just a pinch or two of each, so I guess we'll see what I can learn by this time next year!

Pictures to follow when (if) anything happens...

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Even if I don't trust eBay I think you have a good start. Little late but hum they say "better late than never"..

greenmonster714

Snow still on the ground..wow. Best of luck to ya. Be sure to keep them warm. You should see some little squiggly tails in a few days followed by some green. You may be a little late but it'll be okay.

Norrlander

Cheers guys, good to know you have faith that something can come of this first attempt. Next year I hope to have two greenhouses, so all the plants can have a better start.

ChinaVoodoo

I did not realize just how far north 63.5 degrees is until I explored on Google maps. That's about equal with Reykjavik, Iceland, and Dawson City, Yukon, and it's 2 degrees north of Anchorage, AK.

Dawson City Yukon has much harder weather than where you are in Sweden because it does not benefit from ocean currents, and is higher altitude, and half a degree further north. There are farmers in Dawson City. For many of their plants, they are dependent upon the use of a greenhouse.

https://www.yukon-news.com/life/dawson-citys-trondk-hwchin-teaching-farm-grows-up-and-out/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/tr-ondek-hwech-in-dawson-city-farming-teaching-1.4118782

You will absolutely be able to grow tobacco to maturity in a greenhouse. I do encourage you to put a rush on that, though.

Charly

Welcome and good luck with your first grow :)
If your weather is too hard, you can maybe grow some plants in containers and put them outside only when the weather is good ?

Jack in NB

Founding Member
An observation - if you can grow tomatoes, you can get a satisfactory tobacco crop and mature seed from the earlier varieties. Yield is lower than the southern growers get, but I averaged probably 75 g of dry leaf per plant. I've seen figures of 100 g plus from the warmer areas.

And several years ago I did like you did - got a selection of seed from a source I can't remember now. But the 5 varieties wound up as 19 very distinct plant types!

So I bagged and saved the seed, regrew, and wound up with some crap, some good, and one exceptional which became NB11.

Good luck!

Norrlander

And yes, we are quite a long way up the planet. I will indeed be making greenhouses a priority (they're a vital part of the overall plan for self-reliance).
I'm considering containers as well, but probably not this year.

ChinaVoodoo

I have had two greenhouses. The first one was at a my old house. It wasn't sealed very well, so it wasn't reliable for having plants out in sub zero weather, but the tobacco grew prolific inside it during the summer. At the new house, I have a small, very well sealed lean-to greenhouse that is full of shelves and has all my tobacco and veggie seedlings in it. I have to say, it's so much nicer than fiddling with grow lights. Since its sealed well, I had my onions growing in it quite early. I heat the greenhouse at night with a small computer fan, blowing air from the house into it. When it was -20, it was 5C in the greenhouse. Anyways, with vegetables, it's nice to not be in a rush to get them in the ground. They're growing, and that's all that matters. I can plant them outside when the ground warms up some more.

Norrlander

Since my last update, I have separated out the strongest plants several times and yesterday the first eight of them finally went into the ground.
20180612_141440.jpg

Edit: so sorry, don't know why the picture turned to the 'broken neck position'. It doesn't look like that in my gallery...

Status
Not open for further replies.