Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Paraord's grow blog 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You're doing fine. Maybe it's time to turn on the sprinkler, and lie down beneath it. Rinse away some of the stress. Better yet, go treat yourself to some milk and cookies.

Bob

Paraord

Thanks Bob, Ive been known to over think a thing or two. Its a lot easier when I'm messing with motors vs growing something I havent done before.

Charly

I think you had a good idea to remove some of the chicken manure away from the plant, if you already gave them some miracle grow.
I did burn some of my baby plants this year after I gave them too much chicken manure at a time !
With fertilization : better too few than too much ;)

As you said, the manure will leak to the plant nonetheless, they will be happy.

It's hard not to overthink at what we do when we are not sure how to do it !
Each year I am more confident, and each year I make new mistakes :D

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks Bob, Ive been known to over think a thing or two. Its a lot easier when I'm messing with motors vs growing something I havent done before.

I totally understand the stress. After a couple years, it went away for me (ie. I learned to process it).

Paraord

Yesterday morning update pics

x6VNhxCl.jpg

118uEW6l.jpg

Disregard the bowls, we were heading to the mulberry tree to harvest some for jam.

bPVlzX0l.jpg

It was nice and rainy the past 2 days. A half inch over the weekend and very evenly spread out at a quarter inch per day. This week is supposed to heat up and get back to sunny. Im really liking the progress since last weekend.

Paraord

Happy 4th of July UPDATE. Plants on the right (North) row are growing very well. Well they all are really, just the North row seems to be ahead of the curve.

6yZmkvAl.jpg

I know, time to get hoeing and mowing. Its been like 97 degrees for the past week. Ill get to it today or this weekend.

KNFBp4bl.jpg

So heres the flower. I forgot to measure the plant height but its probably in the 4 foot range. Should I cut it off? Theres no others that are showing flower buds. I may leave it to watch the progression of the flowers while there are no others to cross pollinate.

Paraord

Super late update and I lost some pictures of the past month unfortunately. I am alive and so is my tobacco haha. I've been topping and cutting suckers and saving seed pods on the indian black, mainly because that one was a really hearty plant in my soil. The Tennessee red leaf also will be getting seed pods saved because that was a close second. Maybe the little crittenden too. Heres to hoping they are tasty. Anyways here's what I have harvested so far. As you see the furthest to the right is the early stuff, relatively small but was on the start of dying off and falling off the plant. As we move left more and more bigger leaves. Honestly with the exception of Indian Black, Tennessee Red Leaf, and Little Crittenden, most the rest kept kinda smallish leaves so far.

0F5P3JCl.jpg

Weather has been very hot but also really wet the past month it seems. Not sure how that comes into play but I should be wrapping around the porch in another week or so.

CobGuy

Congrats! The insane heat has been a real player for me in this year's grow too and all my plants are small.

~Darin

Paraord

Congrats! The insane heat has been a real player for me in this year's grow too and all my plants are small.

~Darin

Hi Darin, glad I wasnt the only one. I was thinking I did something incredibly wrong!

I did more harvesting today and my plants look like they havent even been phased. I might have been a tad overzealous on my quantities of plants.......

4fQnObll.jpg

Paraord

LOL how the heck am I doing?! I'll tell you what, the best that a semi color blind 1st time tobacco grower can. After I picked some I think some are too green, some too yellow. I dont know to tell you the truth. The tips start to go brown and I am more apt to take them off. Anyways heres what I have harvested so far.

9GBOFwzl.jpg

Fqq9Ol1l.jpg

Lgd17aLl.jpg

HFfzMCll.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Life is tough for a tobacco grower with rosado/candela color blindness. You're doing great. Maybe I should wear dark sunglasses when I prime leaf.

Bob

Paraord

Yeah its a fun thing. Although I dont know any different. It makes some outdoor activities a little more difficult such as tracking but I've managed to pickup on other ways to overcome that. It's refreshing to hear someone not immediately think I see in grey scale haha!

So you guys dont think they are too green?

Paraord

Did some more yesterday because im all booked up this weekend. I am really proud of what I have so far I gotta say. Im planning on getting quite a bit into the kiln after the weekend so I can keep a proper eye on it.

qbxQXBql.jpg

Forgot to take a picture of the whole haul thus far yesterday so here is one this morning before the sun was up all the way

LCWxEfMl.jpg

Paraord

Well over the weekend a good friend of mine gave me an old family Teck 1. All it needed was a handle and I need to fix the wood tray at some point but I really wanted to try it out. So I tackled the tobacco that looked really good and brown and decided to cut some up. I shredded up 4 leaves and had my wife smell the tobacco (her sniffer is much better than mine).

oTXKtA7l.jpg

Indian Black-smelled like fall leaves
Tennessee Red Leaf-smelled like black tea
Little Crittenden-smelled woodsy
Yellow Orinco-had a citrus smell

If its not already known I have like zero idea what Im doing. These leaves sat on the porch hanging for like a month or more. I can probably go back through my posts and find when I actually picked/hung them. Will these be alright to smoke? Maybe mix a little handful of each together and try it? Here are a few pics of the leaves before I shredded them

YECJazkl.jpg

0ZGvPVGl.jpg

After that I decided to get the kiln a-brewin! Over 60 bunches of leaves and I think 5 varieties. Its all turned on and heating up. The lid is on the crockpot, should I have it off a little? There is about an inch and a half of water in the bottom of the crock pot and the PID is set to 120F.

xbMrEjul.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.