Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe Repair and Refurbish

Sid.Stavros

A Savinelli Tevere 111 6mm,i bought her not only because of the shape but for the band with the Greek Maiandros on it.

Savin-.jpg

My plan was to make her 9mm plus to change the colour for my Rum pipes collection.

Savin-%2B%25285%2529.jpg

I cut the factory tenon and replace it with a new one

Savin-%2B%25288%2529.jpg

Some sanding and painting work and the pipe is ready!

Savin-%2B%252817%2529.jpg

The whole procedure step by step is here:
http://pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr/2012/02/4.html
Code: M4-1

I hope that the photos will help you and give you some ideas to work with your pipes,thank you for watching Gentlemen!

Sid.Stavros

Thank you Gentlemen! I have some non-filter pipes but the majority is 6 and 9mm,i did this conversion because i wanted a 9mm pipe to my Rum sector of my collection. There, bordeaux is the colour which characterizes that sector.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Do you use leather dye for the stain? I have a Rhodesian about the color of the pipe in the last picture.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
We use dyes from a company called Fiebings here in the States.
I still want to make a black dress pipe with white stem but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sid.Stavros

I know the brand,some pipe makers here in Greece use it too.We buy products from E.U market only because some times the shipping cost is less than to order it from US. Plus you have a Law that prohibits any alcohol product to pass the borders,that's why we can't buy for example an after-shave from US market. A shiny black bowl is extreme difficult to achieved by a hobbyist,the factories have the proper equipment to make it,the hobbyist can't create the smooth lacquer but he can wax or oil or apply shellac to his bowl.
I have a couple of black bowl-white stem pipes to show you,factory or hobbyist made.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I know the brand,some pipe makers here in Greece use it too.We buy products from E.U market only because some times the shipping cost is less than to order it from US. Plus you have a Law that prohibits any alcohol product to pass the borders,that's why we can't buy for example an after-shave from US market. A shiny black bowl is extreme difficult to achieved by a hobbyist,the factories have the proper equipment to make it,the hobbyist can't create the smooth lacquer but he can wax or oil or apply shellac to his bowl.
I have a couple of black bowl-white stem pipes to show you,factory or hobbyist made.

I would like to see the black bowl-white stem pipes you have. I had heard that India ink would produce the right results, but I could never make it work on scrap briar.

BarG

Founding Member
Here is the first pipe I ever made. It has been chewed on by my dog. I think it may be a lost cause.

101_0075.jpg 101_0074.jpg Half the stem is missing and the top is chewed up also.

sansonPR

@ Sid,

I see that your pipes are in great condition. Did you cleaned after every use??? Or what its your cleaning schedule with them. I did not see a topic related to cleaning and maintenance of pipes. The refreshing method the pipe smokers uses are a interesting discussion thread. Recommended product for cleaning and polishing and so on.

(Moderators If these discussion are duplicated please delete it)

Sid.Stavros

@ Sid,

I see that your pipes are in great condition. Did you cleaned after every use??? Or what its your cleaning schedule with them.

Yes sir,after every smoke the procedure is: i remove all the tobacco remains from the bowl, a pipe cleaner through the stem and a paper towel in conical shape deep into the shank,the pipe stays like this for 2 days at least.Then i clean the stem and the shank sometimes with a little bit use of alcohol,i gently use a pipe-knife to clean the bowl and the pipe goes to the cabinet. From time to time i clean the rim and i use gently a buffing wheel with white diamond or tripoli.All my stems no matter the material are clean and shine,if the pipe isn't clean i don't smoke it.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I keep a pint of Gilbey's Gin handy for cleaning. I dunk the pipe cleaner in it when I want to de-gunk the stem and bore. Some people use ChapStik to shine the stems, but I use grape seed oil. It doesn't go rancid the way olive oil does.

sansonPR

I'm not so away of your method Prof. I'm using white rum. I do like rum more than gin!