• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed to Cigar: My journey to grow, harvest, ferment and roll my own cigars!

HercDriver

Yeah I think next year Im going to use the 28" pots and ditch the 5 gallon buckets. Ive seen people pull off plants in a 5 gallon bucket but it didnt work out too well for me. Ill probably move the secondary plants into the yard or a raised bed.

HercDriver:

re: using 5 gallon buckets. I have used 5 gallon buckets and 14" flower pots in the past, largely on an experimental basis, and didn't have much luck. The 14" pots did better than the 5 gallon buckets, but it was my experience that the pots got too hot in our abundant sunshine. There was no comparison between my soil based tobacco and the flower pot based tobacco. Since then, I have opened up more garden space and discontinued the buckets/flower pots. Less lawn mowing, more tobacco!

Wes H.

HercDriver

After seeing that I agree. I must have done something wrong with the plants in the 5 gallon buckets. Maybe I used incorrect soil or to much nutrients. Good to know they'll grow in small containers!

I wasn't attempting to impress you, but rather to indicate that the size of the pot (soil volume) is not your culprit.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Common problems with container growing:
  • poor soil (e.g. too much clay content. A lighter soil is better than a heavier soil. Some bagged potting soil require the addition of peat.)
  • inadequate drain holes at the bottom
  • putting gravel below the soil (Don't do that. It just raises the perched water table.)
  • overwatering
  • inappropriate fertilizer (too little; too much; funky exotica)
  • inadequate hours in direct sun
Bob

HercDriver

Sorry about the delay in updates. Jobs got my time all wrapped up. I did manage to get seeds from the pods. Ill have more seeds than I know what to do with!

I also am just monitoring the hanging of the leaves in the shed.

Earning monies for more cigars!