• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Semois

Leftynick

Hi everybody.

It has been a while since I posted anything. I am still here, reading each post quietly. I still grow my own tobacco, but not as much as before because of space and time constraint. This year I only grow Semois tobacco, due to it was the only seeds that sprouted (I tried more than 10 varieties but only Semois sprouted.) Just finished drying all my leaf and now it is stored away for aging.

I tried some of the leave in cigarette casing just to find out the basic taste that I gonna get from this leave. The taste is very different from burley. I have grown TN90 and Harrow Velvet before and both have distinctive nutty flavor to them that is very good when mixed. But the Semois, despite being a burley have very different taste. The taste is woody, mixed with barnyard. Not that it is bad but it is what I must say, unique. I am eager to try this tobacco as cigar filler.

This tobacco is quite productive, despite growing in pot. I primed the leave at ripe level; gator skin and yellow tips. It does not turn yellow if picked later than this stage instead goes straight to brown. The curing is also very easy and the color of cured leave are very different as it goes higher on the stalk. The top leave is very dark, almost black. I separate 5 different grade according to it position on stalk due to color difference.

Overall, I think it is good grow. I might try this as cigar or pipe blend as it not very good for cigarette. I actually limit my grow to cigar variety because of spacing problem (had to buy cigarette now) but the only seed sprouted is Semois for last season. I started new seed last week and this time looking more optimistic as few varieties already sprouted (changed my method)

Charly

Hello Leftynick,
happy to see you again :)

About the Semois, I don't know either if it's some kind of burley (I have grown Harrow Velvet too and the aroma/taste were very different, no nutty taste in the semois).
Semois is used in pipes and cigars, I don't think it is used in cigarettes.

I liked it best in cigars (it gives nice mild/light cigars), but it's good in pipes too.

Good luck with your next crop ;)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I believe the Semois that everyone is growing is a cigar filler. The seed no doubt came from fellow member Gavroche. He had visited the Joseph Martin farm and obtained a very large supply of seeds. He sent me enough seeds to plant a forest and I in turn sent those to quite a few people.

GRIN lists 4 varieties from Belgium. I obtained one of the one's listed as a Burley. A few years ago I grew this Burley variety side by side with the Joseph Martin variety.
The Burley grew just like a ..... Burley and tasted like one too. The JM variety grew fairly long, not so wide leaves indicative of a cigar filler.

When I send out Semois seed I identify it as Semois-Jospeh Martin variety. I think it is important to maintain the lineage of the strain. There are so many heirloom varieties out there that no one has a clue as to what they really are or where they were developed.

Leftynick

No wonder the taste have cigar hint rather than burley. I get the seeds from Charly. So I am on the right track then on growing cigar only variety. You're right, it is quite narrow leaf and doesn't share similar traits with burley. The way it color cured also good for cigar grading. I will list it as Semois Joseph Martin then, to avoid confusion with burley Semois.

CobGuy

He sent me enough seeds to plant a forest and I in turn sent those to quite a few people.
I was a happy recipient of some of those seeds and grew a dozen plants which then produced another million seeds.
These have been sent to another 3 or 4 folks who hopefully grow and perpetuate the cycle.
Thanks again, Randy! :)

~Darin

Charly

I agree with Jitterbugdude : the perique I made with semois had the best smell of all the perique I made : a smell of black fruit (blackcurrant), wood and earth.
(Okay... okay : the others were only with a bright leaf strain and the other with some rustica... so it may be normal ;))

I have begun some new perique a few days ago : with Symbol 4, Yellow Leaf 36 and Piloto Cubano.
Fingers crossed.

Levi Gross

I too had grown Semois this year and the seed came from Hasse. Very long slender leaves leading me to believe it is the same Joseph-Martin variation that Jitterbugdude describes. The flavor profiles of this tobacco are very unique and I am still not sure if I like it or not. It is mellow and kilned nicely but very distinct