• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Stoving Virginia and Cloning the Frog Morton blends

On my mission to clone the Frogs and ultimately the 5110 Dark English which was my all day smoke. I am starting with the original recipe which with such a mono-dimensional flavor should be the easiest place to start.

My first step is the primary component. Stoved Virginia!
After reviewing several methods of doing this I was inspired by the "Stovendish" method by Jojjas. (the smell of stoving these was AMAZING, just like pie)

I began by soaking 2 separate containers of Red Virginia Tips, one with just distilled water and the other with a Vinegar solution as recommended by Bob to achieve that "McClelland Ketchup Flavor". Although I didn't quite have enough Vinegar to reach a 50/50 mix using the white vinegar I had on hand I went ahead and did a 1/3 Vinegar mixture. The next run will be made using a 50/50 solution with Apple Cider vinegar.

Before: View attachment 24341 red tips.jpg

After: View attachment 24342 red tips stoved.jpg

The bottom portion of leaf is a bit darker and was made using the Vinegar solution.

Final thoughts: The control of using just distilled water was much smoother, removed a large amount bite, but contained some very interesting fruity notes.
The Vinegar soak reduced the bite even more so...and TANG. I believe using apple cider variant rather than white vinegar will achieve the desired result.

I am wondering if perhaps adding a dose of either sugar or maybe even vanilla to the 50/50 bath will produce a sweet note to contrast the tangy vinegar... Thoughts?

I plan to update my next post with the newer fine-tuned results. Stay tuned!

I've never found adding sugar to increase the sweetness of a smoke. Brown, molasses, glucose, dextrose, honey, xylitol, sucrose, agave syrup. Tried them all. Glycerin, (not PG), at about 2 to 5% the weight of the mixture is the only thing I've found to work.