Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Swedish Snus and the GothiaTek Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

POGreen

As for myself , I don't give a dang about that so called Swedish Snus.

I rely upon the Old School of Making Snus.
It is found in this document that what they had a major problem with , amongst other things/issues , was microbial growth .
No wonder as I see it , when using such a low temperature when heattreating the tobacco. ( 50-80 degrees Celsius )
If using a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius or 212 Fahrenheit , you would kill most of that problem and microbes as well.
The tobacco wakes up in a completely different way when using the higher form of degrees.
You will have a full aroma of whatever tobacco you will use.

POGreen

Tha is DownUnder/Kiwi slang for thanks.
Did cotillion like the snus too ?
Lookin forward to that NM-snus wintergreen style.

squeezyjohn

I make my snus with a temperature of 85ºC for 48 hours - I find that with higher temperatures my snus becomes "burnt" tasting. With good hygiene and the addition of 8g salt to 100g tobacco flour this seems to be fine for killing mould and bacteria. When the snus is aged for a week and the funky ammonia smell dissipates - then I freeze it until I want to use it - which stops the growth of anything again.

squeezyjohn

Lower temperatures like the old recipes for snus need to be cooked for far longer to mature too. In the lower temperature process the tobacco can develop a great rich flavour - like when tobacco leaves are fermented. However, the lower temperatures do lead to both the creation of TSNA toxins that can be a health risk - and a higher risk of microbial growth!

squeezyjohn

PO - how long are you cooking the snus at 100ºC for? What method do you use to get this constant temperature? Is it in the oven?

POGreen

Squeez - I'm treatn it for a hole week around the clock or 24/7.
My oven turned out to stay constant to the degs I turned it to , used a steaktherometer to check. I try to use 100 C + to kill all the microbes.
Take out the batch once a day to stir and get a gut feelin on wether I should add more water or not.Good things take time.
Storing the batch is to my understanding a very impotant issue as well , that is why I've made so much of it. Its just gettin better with/by time.I try to store the snus for at least 2 weeks , then start using it.
But it has to be givin the full treatment in the oven first.
I choose not to use anything else than backerflour , water , salt and potash to make a pure/nice/good snus. ( Potash AFTER heattreatment) 15grams to 500 gr of flour
If I was to use essences or aromatic oils with this or that taste/flavour , I think I'll destroy the whole batch.
Thats the way I roll , and I like it very much and hate the fabricated snus 'cause I think its just big buisness.
Check out the EU , they subsidize the European Tobacco Growers with over 1 Billion Pounds every year , for what and where does that tobacco end up ? Who buys that stuff ?
Think I have an idea where it ends up , but I wount say that here.

squeezyjohn

I agree with you PO on not adding any essential oils ... most of my experiments with oils spoil the natural taste of the tobacco. I do normally put a little powdered liquorice in my recipes for a little sweetness. And I have good natural tasting results using whisky or brandy instead of water ... it makes the snus very rich - but you can still taste the tobacco through the alcohol.

Cheers

Squeezy

POGreen

Got your point there Squeez.
Might try that sometime , Lagavulin perhaps ?
They used to add the spirits/liquors after the heatprocess together with the potash ( 1849 recipe ) available at http://www.tobaksochtandsticksmuseum.se/en/.
But you have to visit the Library , I am trying to send a guy there to find out some more and he might go there later this summer. He's busy with his grow , kids , farm and Summer. :)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I'll chime in here, I pressure cook it. 4 hours with salt, flour and water, mix in alkaloid, 1 additional hour and let it cool down gradually on the stove. When cold next day I add a bit liquorice and vegetable glycerine and let it age with a paper towel held in place by the ring. I use more water in the cook t than is the norm so it dries up and off gasses at the same time. Ready in 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.