• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Intangibles

In these last five years, i have experienced an array of aromas from cereal & barley, to chocolate & clove, to wine and rotten fruit, to cat piss and ammonia. There has been so much more. Some tobaccos have been so strong they gave me the hiccups. Some burned my tongue. A few tasted like nothing. Although it has been hard work, hit and miss, two things remain. A less important factor is that I've saved thousands of dollars growing my own. One of the more important thing is that I've had an epiphany about fermentation and chemistry of plant matter that i ironically can't fathom. The complexity. It's not always impressive and/or pleasant, but it's mind blowing. It illustrates how little we know about neurology, as well as the physical world. I'm in awe of tobacco.
IMG_20180922_020333304~3.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Pipe tobacco blending is often about balancing the attributes of differing pure tobacco ingredients. Acidic vs. alkaline; sweet vs. sour vs. bitter; clean vs. smoky. Sometimes it's just the specific varieties, but more often it's the curing and finishing methods. Then the mysteries of what happens when blended tobacco is pressed for a while open up countless possibilities.

My biggest surprise was discovering what a tiny fraction of dark-air tobacco does to an otherwise happy and balanced blend. Another (with cigars) was the magic that occurs when a CT Broadleaf wrapper covers a burley binder.

And I seldom bother with non-tobacco flavorants.

Bob

EDIT: And the pipe! The same tobacco blend offers different attributes, depending on the dimensions of the pipe bowl.

CobGuy

So true, CV ... I also am in awe at the sheer possibilities from one plant.

That's a cool old clay pipe, btw! :)

~Darin

ciennepi

Hi Bob, can you tell me what type of burley you combine with the CT Broadleaf and what type of flavor you obtain in the cigar?

deluxestogie

Administrator
I've used Harrow Velvet burley and also used TN 89 red tips. After some deep thought, the flavor is exactly 42. (I have no way to explain a unique flavor.)

Bob

skychaser

ahhh... 42 The answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything. :)

well..... Coffee break time is over for me. Back to harvesting cucumber seed.