Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What is Your Favorite Tipple to Accompany Your Cigar?

GrowleyMonster

Creator of the Imperfecto
I know most guys like a glass of Whiskey or Brandy with their cigar. Me, I do like both beverages, normally, but I don't like fighting the fumes while smoking. I prefer a Sherry or better yet, a Tawny Port. I like Sandeman's or Warres, mostly. The Warre's Otimo 20 is to me, very nice with a smoke. Cockburn's or Graham's are okay, too, and Taylor Fladgate will do in a pinch. A nice Amontillado, works, as well. The sweetness perfectly balances a good cigar and I don't have to be punished by raw alcohol while trying to enjoy a cigar. What's your cigar drink?

What we grow, roll, and smoke, matter. But HOW we smoke, and what we accompany it with, or the surroundings or company we prefer while seeking ultimate cigar bliss, are important, too.

GrowleyMonster

C'est l'heure verte! An old French expression used muchly before Absinthe was banned, meaning time for Absinthe. It was a popular drink in Parisian cafes, and you will see a lot of paintings of the era with partakers of the Green Fairy (another name for the beverage) in the cafe... usually, with a CIGAR! Seems like a pairing made by a lunatic in an asylum but I had to try it. Our favorite brand is the Grüne Fee and yes, we have a proper absinthe fountain, but Mrs Monster would go ballistic if I took it outside, so I set an ice ball right on top of the pinch and slowly dripped Topo Chico on the ice. Well, this brand doesn't loche very much anyway.

It was a surprisingly pleasant combination, the absinthe and the cigar. I wouldn't bet the house on any other brand working as well, but this one was nice. At 130 proof, this one has a satisfying alcohol content.

The pic was taken and the cigar and drink consumed, last night, about 14 hours after the cigar was rolled. I did two of these, with Ecuadorian Viso filler, binder, and wrapper. VERY tasty, probably the best tasting cigar I have rolled. The burn was excellent for a fresh cigar, two re-lights, no canoeing. It was so good I just had to smoke the nub right down, hobo style, with a toothpick. I would classify it as rich and hearty, not much spice, a little nutty. Mostly TOBACCO-Y! I will do a couple more this morning, in CT Shade wrappers. It was kinda fun to roll using just one stack of leaves.

IMG_20220626_NoBabyCigarWithAbsinthe.jpgIMG_20220626_Absinthe.jpgIMG_20220626_Hobo.jpg

GrowleyMonster

IMG_20220628_Sazerac&Stogie.jpg
Arguably the original cocktail, and definitely the most aromatic of the classic ones, the Sazerac. The drink was invented by a pharmacist named Antoine Peychaud, in his shop at 437 Royal Street in New Orleans. Originally it was made with Cognac but for one reason or another Cognac was hard to get for a spell, and good old American Rye Whiskey was substituted. The drink showcased Mr. Peychaud's bitters and the name comes from his favorite French Brandy. The glass originally got an Absinthe wash until Absinthe was outlawed in 1912, and various botanicals were substituted, primarily Herbsaint, and now Herbsaint is the standard even though Absinthe is legal again, and Rye is standard even though there is plenty of Cognac to go around. Anyhow that's what Mrs Monster made for my evening cocktail and I have to say, it paired fairly well with the Piloto Seco / Sumatra Imperfecto I had with it.