Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

When to put out your plants in the Spring (US)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It can be tempting, during beautiful weather, to put your tobacco plants out too early. The following links (for members in the US) can give you more (or less) confidence.

For the "Last Frost" date for your area, check out the first link on this FTT page: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/781-Last-and-First-Frost-Date-When-Is-It-Really

In the US, there are a number of helpful weather forcasting models to check, before putting your plants in the ground early. The first of these is a three month forecast that is automatically updated monthly on the following FTT page. The final image is updated daily.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/2225-NOAA-Temp-amp-Precip-Forecasts-Updated-Monthly

For a more precise check of predicted temperature for the next two weeks, you can run a variety of weather models at the Weather Underground site:

At http://www.wunderground.com enter your location (nearest town and state). Then scroll down a bit to find the Wundermap link.

Once the Wundermap displays, use the menubar on the right to unselect everything--to get a blank map of your area. Then scroll the menubar to select Model Data.

There is a gear icon that will display the available models. Select
  • GFS
  • 2mAG (that's 2 meters above ground)
  • move the slider to the maximum number of hours
then run the model. It takes a while. Examine the color key at the bottom, to identify the color of 32ºF.

The model will cycle until you leave the page. If you see frost for your area, note the date and time displayed in the upper right.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
You can also find the last freeze date by Your ZIP CODE. On Your home page Type in LAST FREEZE DATE BY ZIP CODE, Thanks for the post delux. I take for granit folks know what it is where they are.

BarG

Founding Member
Thanks for those links Bob. I am waiting for the next storm surge here they keep warning about to pass through and plan on starting next week. I planted alot early last year and regretted it. As well as what I planted late. This year will be just right. Next week My shade plants need to go in the ground whether my cover is finished or not. My sun plot is not far behind.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
BarG I think this week is a planter for You. If You put out humming bird feeders will say yes to plant when they show up. The wind and hail is a diff. story. Good luck

BarG

Founding Member
BarG I think this week is a planter for You. If You put out humming bird feeders will say yes to plant when they show up. The wind and hail is a diff. story. Good luck

Hummers are here. My neighbor goes through a gallon a week feeding 20 and 30 at a time. I give up on it, I get the staglers and they get drunk before my feeder is empty. You ever picked up a drunk hummingbird? He'll passed out and wobbly but soon recovers. I plan on planting 50% next week.

100_2461.jpg