Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Which tobaccos would you like to see for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowboardin58

I'm sure Don gets what he can get and is at the mercy of his suppliers, but are there any specific tobaccos people would love access to?

For me, besides more Ecuador Maduro wrapper (and more ecuadorian leaves in general (hard to acquire, I imagine)), I'd love more Nicaraguan choices. Specifically, Nicaraguan Corojo, as that seems like it coud be a possibility at some point. Additionally, some Jalapa tobacco, be it Corojo, Criollo, Habana 2000, or whatever. Also, Sumatra wrapper would be great! I've been using the Sumatra binder from a kit as wrapper, but by-the-pound, it is out of stock.

I'm crossing my fingers for the Nic Corojo and more Ecuador wrapper!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm sure Don gets what he can get and is at the mercy of his suppliers, but are there any specific tobaccos people would love access to?

There was a time when the tobacco suppliers wouldn't eve talk to me. Things are quite different now.

Have you tried any of the Cibao Valley fillers? They are excellent tobaccos. We ran out of Ecuador Maduro yesterday, but we have 40 - 50 blends with Maduro wrapper ready to ship. We'll have more an a couple of weeks. The Habano 2000 wrapper is Ecuador tobacco.

I'm always inquiring about different tobaccos.

snowboardin58

There was a time when the tobacco suppliers wouldn't eve talk to me. Things are quite different now.

Have you tried any of the Cibao Valley fillers? They are excellent tobaccos. We ran out of Ecuador Maduro yesterday, but we have 40 - 50 blends with Maduro wrapper ready to ship. We'll have more an a couple of weeks. The Habano 2000 wrapper is Ecuador tobacco.

I'm always inquiring about different tobaccos.

snowboardin58

That's good to hear! I figured some tobaccos might be in such high demand that they may not be very available outside commercial contracts.

Last week I ordered 2 lbs of Ecuador Maduro with some CV ligero (last one) and will be ordering some other items as well. I guess I have a preference for Nic over DR, but am going to tey a few other r tobaccos for thr hell of it.

I'll definitely try the h2000 wrapper. The only other leaf I wish was stocked here was a flavorful CT broadleaf maduro wrapper! I will try out the PA binder, just to see.

snowboardin58

Is the proper terminology oscuro? I've seen some broadleaf that is lighter in color, so I just assumed that most, but not all, was aged and made into maduro.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Is the proper terminology oscuro? I've seen some broadleaf that is lighter in color, so I just assumed that most, but not all, was aged and made into maduro.

I buy from the largest producer of Broadleaf in the world, Monday, I'll ask him about color grades. I've been buying from him for years and the term Broadleaf Maduro has never once been uttered in any of our conversations.

snowboardin58

Interesting. I don't know anything about color grades, but would be interested in any darker, full-flavor broadleaf wrapper available. Such a tasty wrapper!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Just talked to my sales rep about the Broadleaf. He said they grade it in three color grades. Light, medium, and dark. He suggested that the term Broadleaf Maduro is likely a "Spanish thing".

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's sometimes impressive the degree to which full-time tobacco professionals live within their own narrow silos of knowledge. With the exception of @FmGrowit, @BigBonner, @skychaser and @Tutu (tobacco professionals who all just happen to be members of this forum), none of the professionals know much about the realities of the supply chain below or above their personal arena of business.

It's true that CT Broadleaf is American, and commonly grown in English-speaking Connecticut, but really. Maduro is baffling? Has he ever wondered what happens to all that finished leaf that he sells? Cig...what?

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I talked to a manufacturer I deal with and was told that in order for it to be called Maduro, it has to be aged at least three years.

It seems there as many opinions about what Broadleaf Maduro is as there are people willing to answer the question.

Tutu

Of last year's crop (2017) we selected around 100,000 lbs of CT Broadleaf. Colour selection of Broadleaf in the DR is Claro (only in seco priming), Castaño, Castaño Oscuro, Oscuro Castaño, and Oscuro (only in viso and ligero). However, if someone were to order a Maduro Broadleaf I would likely show him something in-between Castaño and an Oscuro.

Suppliers of tobacco don't usually age Broadleaf too often since it is in very high demand and fast selling. If it is being aged, it is more likely to be done by the cigar manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChinaVoodoo

Got any Yenidge, or Mahalla? I'm hesitant to ask, because, like, how many orientals can you realistically carry?

I've grown Yenidge, but to be frank, it sucked. I don't know if I can grow small-type orientals here.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm working on expanding our Turkish offerings. There is some Basma and Katerini available. so I'll likely be adding both to go along with our Izmir.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yenidje is a basma type that has a specific location label. The Premium, Stacked Basma that I sampled (and recently reviewed) is the real deal, premium basma leaf. I really don't believe you will ever find a "Yenidje" that's better than this particular batch of basma leaf. It's apparently not grown in the vicinity of the town of Yenice (Genise), Greece.

About growing your own, I'm reaching the conclusion that the quality of the sun exposure during sun-curing is the critical factor. I suppose you could rent some goats to pee on the planting bed in early spring.

Bob

fimbrew

I too would like to see some more orientals. I am growing Bursa and Adiyaman and love to compare it with commercial grown or even just buy it and grow more rare types.

CT Tobaccoman

For me, besides more Ecuador Maduro wrapper (and more ecuadorian leaves in general (hard to acquire, I imagine)), I'd love more Nicaraguan choices. Specifically, Nicaraguan Corojo, as that seems like it coud be a possibility at some point. Additionally, some Jalapa tobacco, be it Corojo, Criollo, Habana 2000, or whatever. Also, Sumatra wrapper would be great! I've been using the Sumatra binder from a kit as wrapper, but by-the-pound, it is out of stock.

I'm crossing my fingers for the Nic Corojo and more Ecuador wrapper!
I'd like to see more of the Virginia Red flue cured.

Status
Not open for further replies.