Whole Leaf Tobacco

2014 Knucklehead Grow Blog

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That is not a beast! That is My daughter and hand muff! ( don't tell on Me) Now I see why the sun comes up and goes down in joy like I do. Tell Her that! My Wife is a babe like You have. Kudos!!Mad PS: and the little Muff too......
Yeah, note that the "Beastmaster" is in very tiny letters!

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I'm Proud! I let My babby be bigger than big. Get it? Grass cut, sparkplugs changed. trash to the curb? And baccy grown- With help? Thanks for the dinner baby. (I made it) Get it Guys? Mad- LOL LOL

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You'all make a nice look'n couple there Knucks!

P.S. - I want one of those hats....
Thank you. I'll try to find one of them and send you a link. Made in Mexico and sold by a California Co. It's a chick magnet. ;)

It's wonderful in the patch, it's like wearing a beach umbrella on my head. I'm in the shade the whole time.

Last edited:

CT Tobaccoman

Commercial growers are limited to very few varieties per year, and those are dictated to them by Big Tobacco. I think the preservation of the old varieties is now in the hands of the hobby growers, and I hope to help make as many of those varieties available as I possibly can. It's up to the hobby growers to save most of these varieties from extinction.
You're right about that. As a former employee of commercial growers I had no idea that there were so many varieties of tobacco. Like, there was only maybe 6 kinds of wrapper when I started in the 60s--now there must be at least 50 commercial wrappers and that seems to me like really a lot.

I doubt if commercial growers bother to keep historic seed lines going. General Cigar "re-discovered" Conn. Havana Seed in the 1990s in a coffee can in an old unused warehouse, which hadn't been grown in Conn since the 1950s. As it happened there was also one small broadleaf grower who had been quietly keeping the strain going all along, growing a few plants for seed each year. General crossed their seed with something else to create a patented wrapper they call "Medio Tiempo." So now, there are 2 kinds of Conn Havana seed.

This sort of thing is about the limit of big tobacco's ability to keep strains going. Is IS going to be up to the hobbyist, and you have played a big part--you might go down in tobacco history--don't be too quick to give away anything that you might create--maybe Big Tobacco will buy it (if you actually own it, I mean.)

CT

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I had some problems that cost me most of my leaf. I'm still trying to clean 70 varieties of seed. I lack about 10 varieties being finished with the cleaning, then I will do a germination test. I've really slowed down on the cleaning process lately. I'm being really lazy. :)

Brown Thumb

Good Job Knucks. That was one Hell of a undertaking.
Sorry to hear about the Leaf Tho.
A couple of Brown Thumbs Up To You.
BT

BarG

Founding Member
I had some problems that cost me most of my leaf. I'm still trying to clean 70 varieties of seed. I lack about 10 varieties being finished with the cleaning, then I will do a germination test. I've really slowed down on the cleaning process lately. I'm being really lazy. :)
I love being lazy, It's a luxury I can rarely afford. Depending on how much seed to be saved should be high on your list.
If you save and screen every pod on a given plant you may be there all day. I suggest saving a couple thousand or so seeds and moving on.