Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2020 harvest burley carotte

Krausen89

First ever carotte. A prick of tobacco. The best leaves from 2020 burley harvest. It has been aging after a bit of kilning which im not sure the exact kilning time. I wrapped burley mixed with a little misc cigar scrap leaves, topped with brandy i made from my 2020 harvest of pears, in some cloth and wrapped VERY tightly. Im not sure how long i can wait for this lol. Im hoping with as tight as i wrapped it will be compressed like a plug.

Attachments

• 20220927_153742.jpg
    20220927_153742.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 17

furryfreek

I've been leaving most of mine bound for 3-6 months but they seem to hold their shape pretty well after just a couple of weeks. That's using paracord and my whole body-weight to bind them (my jute twine could hardly complete one turn before snapping.) It takes a good few months to acquire the desired perique-like quality though. It's noticeable after three months but still quite subtle. After six, it's probably about as good as it's going to get. Unless maybe one were to re-hydrate and re-bind it :unsure:.

Krausen89

I've been leaving most of mine bound for 3-6 months but they seem to hold their shape pretty well after just a couple of weeks. That's using paracord and my whole body-weight to bind them (my jute twine could hardly complete one turn before snapping.) It takes a good few months to acquire the desired perique-like quality though. It's noticeable after three months but still quite subtle. After six, it's probably about as good as it's going to get. Unless maybe one were to re-hydrate and re-bind it :unsure:.
Thank you! Exactly what i was looking for. I am def going to use a stronger rope next time. i was thinking para-cord. this was a smaller amount of leaves and i was tightening every half turn by hand doing the best i could. i had to re-tie a few times as mine snapped as well. with para-cord i can use it between two points and my body weight to get it as tight as i can. What tobacco do you typically use? have you tried any blends? do they come out differently from each other or just all perique-like? how dense does it get for you? i would like to get a nice dense plug from it if i can but that might just be me being hopeful.

furryfreek

I made most of mine with one variety at a time and each came out quite differently. Basma went very much in the fruity direction, whereas Shirey (dark VA) had more of a barnyard vibe with a bit of background fruitiness. KY15 took on a sort of musty quality (in a good way) but the change was much more subtle, I think because that leaf was quite low case going in (just enough to not break when folded; stems probably would've snapped if they weren't frog-legged.)

All except my first, hand-bound attempt came out very dense like a tree branch or something and, because of the way the layers wrinkle up and fold into one another as its pressed, it holds together better than plug, I think. On the downside, they're actually quite a pain to chop up with a knife. I think you'd need some sort of guillotine to get a decent coin cut without too much blood, sweat and tears. I ended up using a pair of tin snips to cut of an inch or so a time, then use a spray bottle to moisten the outside enough to tease off a few layers at a time, then chop those up and dry them down.

One tip I could've done with is make sure your leaf is good and clean before you start 'cause anything that gets squished in there ain't coming out again. My Basma accumulated a lot of dead gnats and stuff. They snap, crackle and pop like a bowl of rice krispies :D. Likewise, it might be worth ironing your canvas or something to prevent lots of fibres getting stuck to the carotte's surface.

Last edited:

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I haven't made a carotte but I have used surgical tubing to clamp odd shaped pieces of wood for gluing. Squeeze out seems to be about the same as if I had used a clamp, but there is no clamp that could have held those odd shapes. You don't have to pull very hard to achieve an amazing amount of compression with a few layers. One of you guys doing carottes should give surgical tubing a try and let us know.