Whole Leaf Tobacco

2021 first attempt ever: mbatini

mbatini

After the game was over with leaves from WLT, it's time to try out what I have got in terms of seeds:
From nwt:
Florida Sumatra
Criollo 98
Habano 2000
Piloto Cubano

From @Alpine
Habano Cubano
Nostrano del Brenta

The most 'resilient' to sprouting is Nostrano. I am planning to have 216 plants, 31 each and 60 for Nostrano. I will try to grow some in full sun and almost 60 in partial sun (Florid and Nostrano for wrapper). Planned time for field is end March. Moved 32 to first tray, tomorrow other will take place in others.

May I expect a rough average estimation of getting 6 Robustos per plant ?

.siblings.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Those are some serious spikes on your window sill! I think ~100+ grams of cured tobacco per plant is a reasonable estimate for cigar leaf varieties. 1 pound (454 grams) of whole leaf will make 15 to 30 cigars, depending on the size of cigar. If we say 20 cigars per pound, then 5 or 6 cigars per plant seems like a good guess.

In full sun, my Nostrano del Brenta produced truly huge leaves. Even the bottom leaf cured and kilned to a mild, sweet, oscuro. Grown in shade, you may need to provide support for each stalk.

I will enjoy following your grow.

Bob

mbatini

1) Growing well
Nice weather, lot of sun, no mold signs so I will keep them covered because night temperature goes down.
grow.jpg

Spare plants (yellow containers) are still there .... I will keep them a little bit more before killing.

2) UPS is fast
I've got my tobacco in 3 days this time. But given the fact that UPS applies a not-well-explained upfront customs addon, I've ended paying out +48 euros with -10 dollars on order. Nothing to say. I will use usps.