Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

3d printed molds

berz324

I ran across this on Thingiverse the other day, if any of y'all have printers they're worth a shot! I don't know that I'd use them for an extended period of time without sealing the plastic just because the caps are great hiding places for mold, but I gave some a shot and they work!

I think my only gripe is how they join together, if they all used pegs instead of the slots in the side of the cigar it'd be easier to pack 'em a little tighter.

MadFarmer

Thanks for posting this. My city library is advertising their new 3D printer. By this time next year I should be rolling home grown

burge

Sounds interesting. How good are 3d printers for durability?

berz324

Sounds interesting. How good are 3d printers for durability?
really depends on how you set it up. You can choose to print a hollow part or to fill the whole thing up with plastic. I went with about 30% and these are holding up just fine so far! My only real concern is the fact that they can be a breeding ground for bacteria if you don't clean them. I'm thinking about sealing and sanding the parts so that that is less of an issue.

I need to remember to post some pics when I get home.

berz324

Thanks for posting this. My city library is advertising their new 3D printer. By this time next year I should be rolling home grown
Give it a shot! The ones I printed turned out great and have worked just fine so far. I may try and revamp the design sometime but for now they are good :)

mjohn

Digging up this moldy one. Didn't want to start another thread.

I gave the 50x4 a shot, sliced it in Slic3r to a two seat mold and shortened to 6.5" to better fit on my bed. The lid is far from properly fitting (loose), I wish I had printed a very small slice of the lid to print before printing the whole thing. Eventually I hope to fill the ridges, sand and make a silicon mold to make some out of resin to prevent any bacteria in the ridges. For now I'll probably spritz them down with isopropyl alcohol after use.

I'm surprised there isn't someone here knocking out simple small capacity wood molds. Though I don't know if they make ball nose mill bits for a router in 50/64.

1610397648620.png

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Apparently the economics of making, shipping, distributing and selling these didn't work out. WLT carried them for a while.

Bob

mjohn

Beautifully created for sure, but they looked over engineered with that wooden screw. That was probably the most time consuming part.

\
Apparently the economics of making, shipping, distributing and selling these didn't work out. WLT carried them for a while.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
they looked over engineered with that wooden screw.
The two wooden screws allow this mold to be used without a press or a stack of pots and pans on top of it. They spin on or off at the touch of a fingertip, and lock snugly and firmly. Their engineering is what one can only hope for in most hand-crafted woodwork.

Bob

FrostD

Love seeing this stuff! I have a buddy who offered to do that 3-D printed model. He also made this out of barn wood that I sadly won’t use for what was mentioned on a different thread due to potential of lead leeching. I’ve considered buying a 3-D printer as well to attempt some cigar molds in addition to other things to make opposed to buy. However, I hear of learning curves with 3-D printers at well and don’t need another “hobby” to necessarily take on at the moment.
@deluxestogie Maks molds look super nice!
@mjohn & @berz324 How long did it take you to make that one?

Attachments

• 531A52B9-4FB9-4EDC-ADE4-CBCBD3D8AA2F.jpeg
    531A52B9-4FB9-4EDC-ADE4-CBCBD3D8AA2F.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 27648FB5-F5D3-43B9-BD5F-B571D8AB452D.jpeg
    27648FB5-F5D3-43B9-BD5F-B571D8AB452D.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 27

FrostD

As kind of a continuation of my previous post. I talked with my buddy who has a 3-D printer. He is going to print up the 2 following molds to try out:

I asked him a little more about 3D printers as well as they are some pretty cool machines in my opinion. When we chatted he showed me in a video call other things he made from the printer. Some 3D printers seem reasonably priced, that if these molds turn out fairly decent, it may bring on an additional hobby to tinker around with.

Yultanman

However, I hear of learning curves with 3-D printers at well and don’t need another “hobby” to necessarily take on at the moment.

I recommend getting one. There are two sort if separate paths to take. The first has a minimal learning curve and fantastic return.
That is getting the printer, downloading from the vast free library of models and press print.
the learning curve will be limited to some basic details about your printer like loading the spool and placing the bed. No harder than loading some paper in a normal printer/learning the change ink.
The second path involves learning to 3d model. This does have a bit more learning curve but it will come as you need it or maybe not. Either way you will get your value from the 3d printer with just a few prints if you generally enjoy making your own stuff.
Ive made cigar molds, tobacco hopper for rolling machine, cnc machine, knobs/handles, custom wax seals, cases, plumbing connectors. Just off the top of my head anyways to give some ideas

mjohn

The two wooden screws allow this mold to be used without a press or a stack of pots and pans on top of it. They spin on or off at the touch of a fingertip, and lock snugly and firmly. Their engineering is what one can only hope for in most hand-crafted woodwork.

Got it. Nice touch.

Love seeing this stuff! I have a buddy who offered to do that 3-D printed model. He also made this out of barn wood that I sadly won’t use for what was mentioned on a different thread due to potential of lead leeching. I’ve considered buying a 3-D printer as well to attempt some cigar molds in addition to other things to make opposed to buy. However, I hear of learning curves with 3-D printers at well and don’t need another “hobby” to necessarily take on at the moment.
@deluxestogie Maks molds look super nice!
@mjohn & @berz324 How long did it take you to make that one?

Sorry, I can't remember how long, I usually hit print, make sure the first several layers are laying down nicely and then leave it.

FrostD

It has finally arrived! The “rainforest” companies delivery service “claimed” to have delivered the first one. That was a big NOPE. Time to get the hands dirty!

Attachments

• B7EF4F17-F8BE-4149-83E4-7D1360A8C292.jpeg
    B7EF4F17-F8BE-4149-83E4-7D1360A8C292.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 22

mjohn

Just ordered an Ender 3 with an auto leveling add on. Plus some filament. Fingers crossed. @mjohn Im no engineer myself it seems like there are some good newbie programs out there to play around with?

Sorry I missed this, enjoy the journey!

You need two things. A model. This can come from Thingiverse OR one you make yourself. Tinkercad is very basic, but very powerful. I love Sketchup for technical things. Fusion360 is the end-all app and they used to have a 'hobbyist' version for free. If you get into model building, it's very powerful, but very time consuming to learn.

Next, you need to slice the model into a gcode text file to feed your printer. This will take the model and the settings of your printer and make slices and code the printer can follow. Filament temperature, bed temperature, fill for the inside, how thick the walls need to be, etc.. I love Slic3r but I just saw a video earlier about Prusa Slic3r which is an offshoot and seems to be upgraded more. They're both Free. Cura is another program that slices.

Feel free to shoot over any questions, I was heavy into 3D printing and CNC a long time ago but let the printers sit for a few years. Just a few weeks ago I got them back up and running and it's all coming back to me.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For all the effort, it might be worth scanning an actual, professional cigar mold to develop the model, rather than just a routed block.

Garden20161117_2380_MaksCigarMold_openFootDet_500.jpg

Bob

Yultanman

For all the effort, it might be worth scanning an actual, professional cigar mold to develop the model, rather than just a routed block.

Garden20161117_2380_MaksCigarMold_openFootDet_500.jpg

Bob
3d scanners are still pretty pricey and not super common. If one is handy with fusion or sketch up you could model one. But first step is for sure to download something and print it. Its sort analogous to the difference between driving an old vehicle or swapping the carb. If its your first old vehicle you’ll probably just drive it. But sooner or later youll learn to swap or repair the carb plus alot more