Whole Leaf Tobacco

6x52 Toro

tullius

I spy two camera angles.. new equip?

This feels like it should have an animated pink panther cavorting around in the end credits. Maybe I've been watching quite a few peter sellers films lately.

Well done.

waikikigun

I spy two camera angles.. new equip?

This feels like it should have an animated pink panther cavorting around in the end credits. Maybe I've been watching quite a few peter sellers films lately.

Well done.
Thanks. The gear ain't new, just decided I had an extra hour to blow dealing with a 2-cam setup. Didn't have time to animate any pink panthers, tho... :sneaky:

waikikigun

Very nice - I watched this on your youtube channel the other night (maybe last night). Thanks for adding the blend. This would seem like a full-bodied smoke. What is the closest store-bought cigar that you think has a similar profile so I can compare with?
Haven't smoked this yet since I just rolled it yesterday. When I come up with a killer blend I immediately design 10 variations of it and roll those. This is one of the 10 variations on a very strong, very killer blend: .5 OS (Olor seco), .75 C98v (Criollo98 viso), 1.25 DomLig (WLT "Dominican" ligero), using a strong-ish Habano seco binder and strong and spicy MSA wrapper.

If you're familiar with my "bliss scale" of cigar strengths, this one is 1+1+2+3 = 7, divided by 4 = 1.75, a lightish-medium smoke. But biased stronger with the binder and wrapper. Whereas the original blend is a 2.3, = very strong.

As always (short of having access to amazing tobacco), the attempt is to try to find a reasonable midway point between flavor and strength.

I am not the widest smoker of commercial sticks, but my first thought is, regarding the original blend, a cross between My Uzi Weighs A Ton and Herrerra Estelí Maduro, but a bit more flavorful than either.

Another thing I did to dial back the intensity, besides tweaking the filler, was to go big on the vitola to de-emphasize the strong binder and wrapper. Since there's a big range between 1.75 and 2.3, the sweet spot is probably somewhere in the middle. I've rolled 9 other "somewhere in the middle" blends to try soonish.

jclif43

I’m sure it’s just the lighting but in the first pic, the wrapper looks like it changes about mid stick. Foot has a sheen and the head has a more matte look.

waikikigun

I’m sure it’s just the lighting but in the first pic, the wrapper looks like it changes about mid stick. Foot has a sheen and the head has a more matte look.
Lighting and reality. Lots of these non-graded wrappers are darker and oilier/shinier toward the tip/foot.

tullius

Looks to me the head is in mottled shade in the first two pics, especially since you can see the branch (?) shadows on gun's fingers.

The western sun might've been strong enough for a roller to seek the penumbrae.

waikikigun

Correct. The shade on the head in the first is cast from a smallish pine
tree growing in my yard.