Whole Leaf Tobacco

A Swedish tobacco industry book from the Swedish tobacco monopoly 1939.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I just have to tell you about this really interesting book or rather a booklet named: "I tobakens Högkvarter" or in English
"In tobacco headquarters" it was written in 1939 on behalf of the Tobacco Monopoly.
It must have been used as a supplement during tours at the tobacco factories of the Monopoly during at least the 1940s and 1950s.
Written of: Erik Skoglund.
The booklet is approx: 21x14cm contains 76 pages and weighs approx: 160 g.
Publisher: Wezäta

It shows examples of different classes of tobacco and descriptions of the whereabouts of imported tobacco, which is intended and to which product the tobacco in question is used.
The booklet also describes very briefly about snus, cig-cable that connect and cigar making. Interesting pictures especially when it comes to the pictures of the dried tobacco leaves that they imported to Sweden and I prepared Swedish Tobacco Monopoly factories. These images are provided with a scale so that you measure the different blades so you see its approximate size.

The problem I have with the book is that the rights to its content are probably still protected by copyright.
It is not clear who took the pictures but I suspect it is a photographer named Erik Liljeroth and if he owns the copyright to the pictures then I may post these in 2079 after that pictures are legally protected for 70 years after the death of the photographer. But probably the pictures did not belong to him or the printing house that wrote the booklet without the tobacco monopoly that after many tours (which I can tell interested) turned into Swedish match. They, in turn, have not answered my questions about borrowing the pictures and some texts from the booklet. If they have any other comments that I am here and now posting a picture from the booklet, I would like them or the person claiming ownership to contact me (as I said, I have done what I can to get in touch with owners).

Attachments

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If there is no copyright notice, it may never have been covered under copyright. Many industry pamphlets were not copyrighted.

Currently, under international law, the copyright notice must contain the copyright symbol along with the year: "Copyright © 2020 by Dreamsplice"

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob I for shore would have liked if you was right on that.
But the symbol you just show comes first at 1960. But book before that have also copyright. How long can be spoken about pretty long. Some pictures don't have any protection at all. Some have a protection at 50 years but most pictures really have a protection at 70 years after the photgraf have died (the same rules as some book have).

I put up some pictures at a Facebook group and told about this book. It took only one day then a man contract me and asked me nicely to remove all pictures. I asked him if he had copyright at the book but he didn't but he had allredy been in contact with them.. ooh I have been that that to so please let me know when they answer you was my answer at the question. But I took allso contract with the moderator at the Facebook group and asked them to take away the pictures I would not like to fight about that when I like to use it at my page..

This is what the Swedish Reference library told me (we have been talking about this book for some days).
"Hello Again Hasse!

It's hard that Swedish Match hasn't answered. Because it sounds to me like it's those who own the rights – if not (look further down).
If he took the pictures on behalf of the Tobacco Monopoly (as well as that the text writer made his writing to order) then it is the company that took over the tobacco company that keeps I All rights to the use of the work.
If you describe what you know about the authors, then you have done everything you can from an ethical / moral point of view, men, that's the thing about the other half of copyright. What about Wezäta-Göteborsgfotografen AB? What if the tobacco company just bought the right to use the pictures I wrote? Then it could be Wezäta.. who is still a car owner today.

Sorry for you that 70 years have not passed and I do not think any of the rules with fewer years can be applied. Without it, the rule of having examined the ownership relationship becomes sufficiently thorough - and if you have not been contacted write that you wish the copyright owner to contact (in this case you)

I understand that you think writing is useful.

Commonly,
Helen"

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the US, at least, there is a legal category named "fair use". It allows journalists and others to use a portion of a copyrighted work, so long as it is properly attributed. This permits book reviewers, for example, to include excerpted quotes from text. How much of a work is considered "fair"? That is subjective. Erring on the high side of "fair" sometimes leads to litigation. One criterion is whether or not the material used in the secondary work can replace or displace the need for the original work. Partial duplication for "educational" use is also an argument in the US. It's all very blurry.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
The European Copyright work pretty similar. If I can take a picture myself it also shall be free for me to use if I tell how took it or write "photgraf unknown" but if the picture is to smart or impossible for me to take its not sure that I can use it (same thing with text).
I can also copy part from books but Of course not howle books. That is for example a problem for the "kungliga biblioteket" ("Royal Library" English name) when they copy older books.
Telling more soon, need to put my kids in bed..

/Hasse W

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
This took little longer time then I was thinking and I forgot much of the things that I was going to tell. But "European Copyright" and "U.S. Copyright" shall be very Comparable. It should be very confusing if they had much differences..

I can take this pictures for exemple:
20191130_195218.jpg
This pictures comes from the book I "Tobakens Högkvarter" Photograf unknown.
On the pictures its tobacco leaf from old Swedish type of tobacco. Those variant we was growing here in Sweden back then have been constatated dead for many years. So we could never take a picture like that again.

But seson 2017/2018 I growing a variant named Tofta. And this is my own pictures of that variant:
20191130_183528.jpg
The leaf have different form/shape but I also have second tobacco that have been growing here in Sweden Back in the day.
So perhaps they have the same shape.
But with this two tobacco variant (Tofta and Per-Pers) it's possible to take a similar picture with Swedish tobacco.
It's much more difficult with pictures from different fabric's. I would have really hard to show that I can take simular pictures myself to day.
When it comes to the text I could use a other old book but newer and whips a almost same text should have been okay far as I can see(as long I tell that I have been reading it in the other book). But that should not be "fair" if you ask me..