Whole Leaf Tobacco

Adding Glycerol to Finished Snus

Strme

Guys, I prepared my first snus.(loose) Now I am at stage aging. Snus is nice looking but if I make small portion it's hold form just for second. Portion starts growing little and with small pressure with fingers it collapse. Moisture is good enough. Do you think glycerol will helps? Can I add glycerol to cold snus? And how much?

ChinaVoodoo

I think you should consider it with the next batch. It is difficult to add glycerol after the fact because it is very viscous and you would only need to add maybe 2% by weight. It is easier to add by mixing with water, or before cooking where it still has time to distribute.

eebenz

I haven't made own suns yet in larger scales but some people use corn starch ("Maizena") to make snus stay tight. It will make your snus very tight, so don't add too much and read the package how to use it. It doesn't work if you don't follow the directions on package (it needs to be mixed to steaming hot water just like other thickeners if I recall correctly).

Strme

Glycerol E422 just arrive. Time to experimenting with that. Starch is next. Thanks for the tip.