Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Aged or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

All the leaves were fully colour cured,some,years waiting to to go in a polystyrene chamber together.
The chamber was run day & night averaging between 52C-56C (125.6F-132.8F for all you uncivilised imperials:giggle:) during each hour.The humidity,I can't say how much it is but the leaves are flexible & not wet.

I've read that it takes 4-6 weeks to age,but after 4 weeks it still had that smell (urine alley).So I left it until that smell had gone,it took 8 weeks and by then the leaves changed colour to dark brown.After the 8 weeks,I left them for another 2 weeks out of the chamber to air off.
But when smoking it,it still has that "raw" tobacco smell to it.Could be described as hay or some leaf found out in the garden.But there is a tobacco smell to it.All the varieties that went in to be aged burn well but the greek one gives a slight headache,I assume that type would need more ageing?.

Could this be down to,just needs more ageing in or out of the chamber or incorrect blends? or maybe both?.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
What varieties of leaf are you talking about? Eight weeks is good. Some varieties need another 6 to 24 months to settle down. Photos? Are you sampling them by individual variety?

Bob

The varieties are a few american bright leaf types,2 burley one is kentucky & I think the other is golden,greek types are xanthi from genisea (there's a few others from that region) & the other is basma, & shirazi.
I've tried them individually & mixed a few of them together.Only the kentucky smells correct with a fair bit of rawness to it.The virginia doesn't smell right & is very acidic.

Photos? of what,the leaves?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In a different post, you state that these are indoor grown and indoor "sun"-cured. I'm afraid that's way beyond my expertise. You really have only one of two choices at this point. Toss them, or stash them away to age. For the latter, give them a try every 3 to 6 months. I've had some Primitive varieties (grown outdoors) that required several years of neglect, before unexpectedly becoming rather nice.

Bob

In a different post, you state that these are indoor grown and indoor "sun"-cured. I'm afraid that's way beyond my expertise. You really have only one of two choices at this point. Toss them, or stash them away to age. For the latter, give them a try every 3 to 6 months. I've had some Primitive varieties (grown outdoors) that required several years of neglect, before unexpectedly becoming rather nice.

Bob
"toss them"?.The burley types & some of the virginia were air cured.
3-6 months after kilning?.
Thanks

Moth

I was smoking pa red cigarellos straight after colour curing last year. Was better than a hamlet or creme blue cigarello.
The Olor and Criollo were not good.
I rarely smoke and happy to age them naturally. I worked out the yield of A grade leaf will see me through to retirement before I run out.
Keep the leaf in low case.
Tried the olor and Criollo recently, a marked improvement but not there yet.
Pa red still tasty.
Wait. Cant harm. Looking forward to sampling it next summer...

I was smoking pa red cigarellos straight after colour curing last year. Was better than a hamlet or creme blue cigarello.
The Olor and Criollo were not good.
I rarely smoke and happy to age them naturally. I worked out the yield of A grade leaf will see me through to retirement before I run out.
Keep the leaf in low case.
Tried the olor and Criollo recently, a marked improvement but not there yet.
Pa red still tasty.
Wait. Cant harm. Looking forward to sampling it next summer...
I'm wanting mostly a cigarette blend and a pipe blend too but the pipe isn't priority.Forced ageing seemed like a good idea.After everything I've read over the years it shouldn't take that long but It's actually certain types that can be aged quickly.I can't remember reading that for cig types.
There was no way I was going to throw them out because it doesn't taste right,what a ridiculous thing to say,with the method how some of them were cured the results are probably unknown but isn't that worth looking into?,maybe it will give a unique taste (this isn't the reason I done it,it happened by accident & continued with it),most would never have done it that way before.It's probably down to more ageing,so I would go for the other option & store them.They're in a bag with a humidity pack,I'll leave them & see if they improve.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.