Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ahi Ka - Davo’s Grow 2020

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
I’m not exactly sure of seed age as they were all gifts, however I wouldn’t think they were older than a year or two. - MD 609 came from NW seeds a few months back I think.

with our climate we are normally able to be pretty relaxed when it comes to germination, so I literally have these on a bench in the potting shed. I think this explains why they are all slow starting this year as we had some very unexpected rain/cold snap last week

Davo

Did my first round of thinning today. Will probably have to do another in a week or so as getting a lot of late germination happening. Aiming for 3 in each section of the cells, and will then cull to the best one at later date.

Davo

So its a rainy day you’re stuck inside with three sick toddlers...perfect conditions to escape for 30mins and finish thinning seedlings.

Happy with how they are going. A few semois are coming up, priority will be refreshing their seed this year. Black Sea Samson is a bit leggy but I’m not too fussed so just removed most of the bigger ones. Now it’s time to read up on haircuts as have never done that before and want to get it sussed before I need to.491B1136-0BE9-4373-BE56-9FD34BAFC905.jpeg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Clipping seedling leaves applies to seedling that are now alone in their tray cells. Once the leaves begin to shade their neighbors, then I begin clipping up to 2/3 of each leaf. Avoid clipping the growth tip. I use a pair of sharp scissors. Remove the clipped material from the trays.

This will thicken the stalks, increase root growth, and increase the nicotine production (anti-bugs). Once I begin clipping, I usually need to repeat the process weekly, sometimes more often, and continue until they are transplanted outdoors. Clipped transplants endure less evaporative stress at transplant.

Be bold.

Bob