Whole Leaf Tobacco

All sale to first time customers from New Zealand have been suspended.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
All sales to new customers from New Zealand have been suspended.

Due to the severe back-up of orders in the custody of the NZ Customs department, we will no longer ship to new customers in New Zealand. There is a 2 - 3 MONTH wait for orders to be processed. This leads to constant complaints by people who do not understand that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about the situation.

burge

Wow the government should get there act together. I would suggest to allow orders however its a 2 to 3 month wait.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Wow the government should get there act together. I would suggest to allow orders however its a 2 to 3 month wait.
If you want to finance their tobacco for them, I'll be more than happy to send them all they want. I'm guessing you won't want to do that...and neither do I.
Now do you understand?

barb

Actually I'm confused because I'm in New Zealand and I order and pay for mine before it's sent, so how does a customs backup affect anyone but the purchaser?

ChinaVoodoo

Actually I'm confused because I'm in New Zealand and I order and pay for mine before it's sent, so how does a customs backup affect anyone but the purchaser?

Yes, I believe in this case the package got delayed in NZ limbo for long enough that the customer thought they were not going to get it. Don sent the customer a replacement, and they eventually got both packages.

burge

That is what I figured out afterwards when Don commented. I know if in Canada I would offer to pay for the second order instantly both Don and Big Bonner are great people and customer service is second to none so for those its only right to pay for extra items sent.

Lynwai

All sales to new customers from New Zealand have been suspended.

Due to the severe back-up of orders in the custody of the NZ Customs department, we will no longer ship to new customers in New Zealand. There is a 2 - 3 MONTH wait for orders to be processed. This leads to constant complaints by people who do not understand that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about the situation.
It's actually not mpi as such, it is the two chosen companies that heat treat the tobacco, it takes 5 days to get to auckland then it takes a couple of weeks to receive a letter from mpi with instructions to heat treat. We then pay them to do that, then they are taking another 2 weeks for them to pick it up from mpi , then they are saying it's taking another 8 weeks to process and sen to us. So our problem is only 2 processors to do all of our orders. We have contacted mpi to complain and wonder if there is a solution in that communication between mpi and suppliers to ensure product is clear of pests that they are convinced are in there. It all goes up in smoke any way so I dont know why they are so anal about it ?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Good News from New Zealand. I just spoke with a customer who got his order in less than 30 days. I asked if he wouldn't mind if I shared his information here on the forum and this is his reply...
"Yea of course Don, for heat treament choose Flick anticimex NZ, and orders under $1000 are now exempt from tax"

"$130NZ for Flic to heat treat it. No problems with customs and I wasn't charged tax as they have increased from under $500 orders tax exemption to under a $1000 tax exemption, I was paying $180 tax before down to nothing now,
The process is pretty sweet over here."

The $130 charge for heat treatment was for 50 lbs. I'm sure the new limit is in NZ dollars, so $1000 NZD = about $590 USD or about 30 lbs. of cigarette tobacco.

clandesdiner

I just got a shipment today 20th April, sent on the 2nd of February. It passed brilliantly through the American system-lots of notifications where it was in the courier system. Where did I lose contact with it?- yep good old Godzone. Turns out it needed fumigation (according to MPI) so I got it sent to Flick. It was there for 2 months, their excuse, the fumigation container didn't meet MPI's humidity requirements- nor did any other one in Auckland. An absolute joke. The person I spoke to at Flick said it really didn't need fumigating, but MPI had a blanket rule re imported tobacco. If they can't collect the ludicrous excise tax on it I guess make it as annoying as possible to import whole leaf, put in as many obstructions as they can. My advice, order whole leaf about 2 months before you want ro receive it. My previous shipments last year went as smooth as (no fumigation), it's MPI's involvement which needlessly screws it up.

stic

Lucky you...

Mine's been in limbo since 26th Feb.

Flick treated it and sent it back to MPI a week ago...but no movement on the tracker...

stic

NZ customers need to understand that this is NOT a quick process for us, due to our customs and a very slow and [let's be honest] non transparent or well defined process by MPI.

Pre-covid, you could wait up to 6 weeks to see a package finally arrive after entering the country; at the moment, it's taking several months!

Also, even in the 21st century, delivery is NOT always accurate; I just had a package (not tobacco) delivered to Wanganui when I live in Palmerston north...

Went to the right address (well, they TRIED to deliver it to the address, but it's a school playground), just the wrong town, because the last line of the address was Manawatu-Wanganui and they decided to ignore the Palmerston North part of the address...go figure (and, this is even with a correct post code on it too)!

tommayo88

I'm looking forward to hearing from customs / mpi :) this is my first try importing WLT. My tobacco has been quiet since it hit chicago. All very exciting. Has anyone had some positive experiences with customs & mpi? :)

stic

Don't hold your breath. Mine turned up just now; and it's burnt to a crisp, completely unusable!

I will now have to file a complaint about my product being destroyed!

$285 us dollars, AND the $NZ90 I paid for them to completely FUCK it!

ChinaVoodoo

You would think that in the name of preventing contraband, they would create a system that provides confidence in the consumers that if they go through the appropriate channels, that they will get their product intact.