And you thought our taxes are bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I got this in an email today...

Hi Don

Package arrived today with no problems thanks.

The annual tax increase on tobacco took effect this week.
A regular 50g pouch of tobacco now costs NZ$57.00"

$57 NZ is about $48 US for less than 2 ounces of tobacco.

WOW!

You guys growing in New Zealand have a small fortune in your gardens.

Matty

Holy crap! $15 here in Quebec, Canada, which I thought is kinda high but near $50? Jeepers. Hope I get a grow goin' this coming season.

Seanz

Yeah all tobacco went up on new years day, I bought some petersons university flake and ashtons connsumate gentleman both 50grm $65 ea. I think a pack of 20 tailor made cost arond $16 nz Bloody criminal really.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
And yet the "other tobacco" is cheaper than hell, even medicinal! Hmmm...

Criminal indeed Seanz, again, even more reason to make your own.

$65 for such a small quantity is just insane.

Seanz

Yes it is I only really buy pipe tobacco here in NZ during my work season, What I need to do set up somewhere to fire cure and process some latakia then I would be away laughing

Last edited:

DonH

Yeah all tobacco went up on new years day, I bought some petersons university flake and ashtons connsumate gentleman both 50grm $65 ea. I think a pack of 20 tailor made cost arond $16 nz Bloody criminal really.
Wow!! I can get those tins for $12 here.

Kaneo

Tobacco in NZ is scheduled to have a 10% increase each year for the next three years.

They are already using a anti smoking campaign on TV detailing a smoke free new Zealand by 2025.

wazzappenning

here i get 50 gr for $30, but the thing that irks me is there is supposedly 1 gr per cig,(cics are about $10 for a 25 pack), so why does it cost me more to make my own and smoke fsc free cigs? sort of seems like they are forcing ppl to smoke the least healthy/most convenient thing. are they just trying to kill us off?

Boboro

They despize our vapor trail. Its a new world when you can fire up a joint in public but not a cig.

Seanz

I think the black market will go boom soon. As it Stands its illegal to sell or give away processed tobacco, the law is a bit hazy on whole leaf though. They (big tobacco) say that people who grow there own are putting themselves in danger due to unknown additives in the homegrown tobacco WTF!!!

DonH

here i get 50 gr for $30, but the thing that irks me is there is supposedly 1 gr per cig,(cics are about $10 for a 25 pack), so why does it cost me more to make my own and smoke fsc free cigs? sort of seems like they are forcing ppl to smoke the least healthy/most convenient thing. are they just trying to kill us off?
Probably. If they were concerned about health they would tax the hell out of high fructose corn syrup... Not that they should or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.