Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Antique tuck cutter/board & cigar mold I would buy if.....

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Nice looking gauge. My guess is it's made out of Mahogany. Take the rule off and see if there's an old worn scale under it. There might be some other information there too.

MarcL

The rule was set crooked. The top left screw looks right though. I have a feeling the gauge is right.

IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0154.jpgIMG_0156.jpgIMG_0162.jpg
attachment.php

I have not found his patents yet but there's this.. https://texanculturescollections.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/i-0046i/

"Gauges like this one, at the Institute of Texan Cultures, helped to ensure each cigar was made to the same standard length and diameter. This cigar gauge was patented by John J. Sander of New York, in 1884."

fig-17.jpg

Smokin Harley

MarcL ,that is a beautiful piece of old tobacciana that will be a nice addition to your rolling room or a user if you need . Nice mahogany too. Looks like its in really good condition.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The quote below, is regarding a different cigar gauge patented by (presumably) the same John J. Sander.

Institute of Texan Cultures Collections Blog said:
From the late 19th through early 20th century, there were a number of inventions made to help speed up the process of making cigars. Gauges like this one, at the Institute of Texan Cultures, helped to ensure each cigar was made to the same standard length and diameter. This cigar gauge was patented by John J. Sander of New York, in 1884. Mr. Sander was known to have been in business with his father-in-law George P. Bruck. He he lived in Brooklyn, having arrived there in about 1880 with his parents who had emigrated here from Germany in 1874.

https://texanculturescollections.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/i-0046i/
So, the dating of your cigar gauge may be around the turn of the 20th century.

Bob

Smokin Harley

nice vintage technical drawings...how cool is that?? I have a cousin who is an independent architect...he'd really appreciate this.

Smokin Harley

MarcL

[h=1]Cigar Mold ~ Metal & Wood RARE![/h]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-20-Cigar-Mold-Press-Wood-Metal-RARE-Wooden-/111845082651

s-l1600.jpg

charlie G.

Marc that's one cool primitive mold. I would love to have the money to get a press like show.
Maybe I will cruise the flea markets in Lancaster county, Pa come spring looking for one.

Raodwarior

Just bought the double wheel stacker that Mark posted...that will make my life easier. Thx Mark