Whole Leaf Tobacco

Any Home Coffee Roasters Here

dondford

Decided I wanted to learn to blend and roast my own coffee; my entry level coffee roaster (Nesco) and 8 lbs of green coffee beans will be here next week. Meanwhile I have been reading a bunch on the subject. Any home roasters here at Fair Trade Tobacco Forum; from what I'm reading the basics of coffee blending and cigar blending is not dissimilar (I guess that is the case of blending anything). I have noticed that many of the locations that grow great coffee also produce great tobacco. What I have in mind is to try to end up with some blends that go well with my cigar blends.... or work on some cigar blends to couple with coffee blends.
Anybody out there with some suggestions/advice.

D

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Been roasting my own for about 20 years. The only advice I could give you is "learn to listen". Regardless of any bells or whistles your machine may have learn to roast according to the pops you hear. Your coffee will begin to pop like crazy (first crack) then there will be a lull then your beans will start popping like crazy again ( second crack/stage). If you let your beans go deep in to the second crack you will get a very dark roast. You will also loose the unique varietal flavor. Play around and experiment. The roasters make one hell of a cloud of smoke! I roast outside

ArizonaDave

Decided I wanted to learn to blend and roast my own coffee; my entry level coffee roaster (Nesco) and 8 lbs of green coffee beans will be here next week. Meanwhile I have been reading a bunch on the subject. Any home roasters here at Fair Trade Tobacco Forum; from what I'm reading the basics of coffee blending and cigar blending is not dissimilar (I guess that is the case of blending anything). I have noticed that many of the locations that grow great coffee also produce great tobacco. What I have in mind is to try to end up with some blends that go well with my cigar blends.... or work on some cigar blends to couple with coffee blends.

D
I can't help with the roasting aspect, but I can tell you how it can flavor cigars. Brew a pot, let it cool. Put in spray bottle and spray desired leaves, let dry to case desired. Tastes good :) I've used Brazilian Coffee, and Peruvian. Both good, but the Peruvian was smoother.

jgsinger

I roasted for several years. The one piece of advice I can offer is to do it outside, or someplace that has powered ventilation. Roasting coffee can give off very strong and not so pleasant odors. At the time, I had an airplane hangar and roasted there. With a 42' x 12' door wide open. It still stunk up the place pretty bad.

burge

I have been to a coffee roaster coffee shop and it stank. in the roaster it had a metal stirrer and the guy said when roasting its important to stir the coffee.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I like me a strong cup of coffee..I'm sure roasting it at home you can make it as strong as.you like.

Now growing ur own coffee plants would be unique.

And on a side note I often use coffee for seasoning in some dishes I cook.

Smokin Harley

D
only suggestion I have is try running your whiskey through some roasted coffee beans for infusion.

dondford

I have been roasting about one year and loving it! I too started with a Newcomer and learned the basics with it. As you know it's and I really couldn't hear the cracks, used the Newcomer guide (x mins for city, etc) but really ended up just roasting by color. IMHO, the is fine as a starter roaster but is very limited. The smoke suppression is great and I was able to roast inside. I recently moved up to a Belmont 1600 2 and freaking love it. I do have to roast on the back porch but that's small price to pay given the affordable price ($380ish) and the added flexibility. I usually roast about 8 Oz's and learned I need to set the amount on the roaster on 1lb. And I can hear the cracks great, even 2 c. I would recommend it and foresee moving up to the next level with a + 1000 buck roaster. I was using several green bean supplies and all were great, the thing that happened was I have made friends with a local pro roaster who will sell me green beans, I pay him $6/lb; I can beat that online, but given his selection and quality, plus no shipping cost it's a great deal. Plus I get to hang around his roasterly and talk coffee and roasting with a real pro. Any time I want to try something he will give me a 1/2 # sample, it is kickass and I will get a few lbs. I have a son in Tampa we go down to see 3-4 a year, I found a supplier down I stop in and buy from. He has great prices and no shipping. I don't think his quality is quite as good. Can,'t think of the name now but it's a long Italian name starting with a C. They sell online. Just Google green coffee Tampa FL and you will fine them. I recommend them as well.

Good luck.
D

Muskrat

Just found this place:

https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com

I roast what I need for my morning pot of coffee, just a few tablespoons of beans on a tray in the toaster oven at 375 for 15 minutes. A few minutes to cool, then grind and dump it into a French press and pour in hot water that's been heating up in the tea kettle.

Love the aromas, smoothness, and flavor of a mix of equal parts of these four:
https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collections/green-coffee/products/mexico-organic-jaltenango-green
https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collections/green-coffee/products/nicaragua-limoncillo-red-catuai-washed-green
https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collections/green-coffee/products/guatemala-carrizal-green
https://www.bodhileafcoffee.com/collections/green-coffee/products/guatemala-la-danta-green

ChinaVoodoo

I find that the smoke has two factors. One is how much chaff is on the beans, and the other is how long you roast for. Darker roasting (blech!) results in more smoke.

I do know that a resting period of a couple days allows for carbon dioxide to escape, and results in better flavor and aroma.

Muskrat

As the roast gets darker, the beans get glossy and oily. My 23 year old son does them in a hot air popcorn popper outdoors and just watches for the desired gloss.

I don't roast dark enough for them to get glossy; they still look dry, and it doesn't generate much smoke.

I find it interesting that there isn't much aroma during the roasting, or smelling the beans afterwards, but after I grind them, whoa, Bessie does it smell great!

Muskrat

Just the ticket, ChinaVoodoo. :)
My only concern with the popcorn popper is that the plastics are designed for steam temperatures - under 220 degrees - but coffee roasts starting around 370 degrees, and I'm not confident the plastic can take that temperature on a regular basis.

ChinaVoodoo

Just the ticket, ChinaVoodoo. :)
My only concern with the popcorn popper is that the plastics are designed for steam temperatures - under 220 degrees - but coffee roasts starting around 370 degrees, and I'm not confident the plastic can take that temperature on a regular basis.
Well, I don't use the dome. The tray is steel, and I use an aluminum plate as a lid.

dante11

I can't help with the roasting aspect, but I can tell you how it can flavor cigars. Brew a pot, let it cool. Put in spray bottle and spray desired leaves, let dry to case desired. Tastes good :) I've used Brazilian Coffee, and Peruvian. Both good, but the Peruvian was smoother.
ca you use it to case cigarette tobacco? i have read about green coffee bean powder for cigars and wonder if that can be used for cigarettes?