Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ARE YOU READY [ for the upcoming bacca season ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewislord

I'm pretty much ready. I put a little steer manure in a couple of months ago and put some chicken manure in the plot a few weeks ago. All I need to do is add some more sand and hoe it around. And compost.
I also have a lot of recycled soil for the pots and a good amount of compost. A new soil mix this time.
I'm hoping to start seeds in a few weeks. I'm aiming for mid to late March for planting. Maybe earlier on the potted ones.
I don't have the pest control down yet. I used Azamax on them last summer and it worked pretty good. But last summer wasn't very buggy for me. And the Azamax is a little expensive so I'm going to find something that I don't have to be so stingy with.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it looks like it's going to rain tonight,

so im getting ready to go fertilize my 2 plots with the.. bagged fert. thats suppose to be for baccy.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
we had 6" of snow by Tuesday morning, today it was 61, this is when we're supposed to be the coldest, if we don't start cooling down again I'm starting seed!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im so ready for the seed starting process, i got numerous starting trays, and a bunchload of 4'' pots.

i still gotta get a bag of vermiculite, [ thats what i like to lay under the sedds, to sprinkle, over the potting soil for a starting medium,

Boboro

Cleanin startin trays will be my first job. I think the bath tub will be the best place for this. They could be some resistance but it will happen. Very hot water and bleach to disinfect the trays.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Cleanin startin trays will be my first job. I think the bath tub will be the best place for this. They could be some resistance but it will happen. Very hot water and bleach to disinfect the trays.
Hot water is not required. If it will help to maintain household tranquility a drum/bucket big enough with a strong solution of bleach will do the job. I'd let them soak for an hour or over night. -·- John

SmokeStack

Hot water is not required. If it will help to maintain household tranquility a drum/bucket big enough with a strong solution of bleach will do the job. I'd let them soak for an hour or over night. -·- John

That is good to know. I was wondering if my plastic trays should be rinsed with water or if I should also sterilize the trays with bleach. I have already purchased all my seeds for this season. It is getting to be that time of year!

wazzappenning

im just curious as to why. seems to me it had dirt in it last year, will have the same this year. any minor residue has thoroughly dried. i cant see any bacteria issue remaining.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Dried soil can contain viable viruses, bacterial spores and fungal spores. Might be a problem for you. Might not.

Some plastics degrade with prolonged exposure to 5-6% bleach. The warmer the temperature, the more intense the chemical reactivity. A mixture of half water: half standard bleach seems to work well without immersion. First wash away the dirt, then you can just spray the surface with the dilute bleach to completely wet it, let it rest for 15 minutes, then rinse away thoroughly. [Some cheapo laundry bleach is already 1/2 strength. Full strength is 5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite.]

Walmart sells a really cheap cleaning product in a spray bottle. It's called Great Value "All Purpose Cleaner with Bleach," and is 2% bleach. It will kill viruses, fungi and bacteria, both vegetative and spore-form. Be sure to rinse it thoroughly after use.

Bob

Boboro

im just curious as to why. seems to me it had dirt in it last year, will have the same this year. any minor residue has thoroughly dried. i cant see any bacteria issue remaining.
I had some issuses last year with some seedlings that may have had some type of disease. I leave my seedlings in the trays till i put them in the garden so I harden them off out side. And thir gust so close together its a breadin ground nasty stuff.

SmokeStack

Dried soil can contain viable viruses, bacterial spores and fungal spores. Might be a problem for you. Might not.

Some plastics degrade with prolonged exposure to 5-6% bleach. The warmer the temperature, the more intense the chemical reactivity. A mixture of half water: half standard bleach seems to work well without immersion. First wash away the dirt, then you can just spray the surface with the dilute bleach to completely wet it, let it rest for 15 minutes, then rinse away thoroughly. [Some cheapo laundry bleach is already 1/2 strength. Full strength is 5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite.]

Walmart sells a really cheap cleaning product in a spray bottle. It's called Great Value "All Purpose Cleaner with Bleach," and is 2% bleach. It will kill viruses, fungi and bacteria, both vegetative and spore-form. Be sure to rinse it thoroughly after use.

Bob

I agree with Bob's method. After thoroughly cleaning the trays, spraying them with bleach and let it rest for about 15 min should do the job. I would not fill a bathtub or container with bleach, and then let the trays soak. Once a tray is thoroughly cleaned and dried, it does not take much time to sterilize it by spraying with bleach. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse away the bleach with plenty of water.

Markw

Yes it is nearly that time!! I will start cleaning my propagators and getting them ready. I will be planting my seeds in cardboard toilet role tubes, I did my germination tests using these and it worked well. A few less items to clean.like the seed trays.
Markw

Boboro

I agree with Bob's method. After thoroughly cleaning the trays, spraying them with bleach and let it rest for about 15 min should do the job. I would not fill a bathtub or container with bleach, and then let the trays soak. Once a tray is thoroughly cleaned and dried, it does not take much time to sterilize it by spraying with bleach. Just be sure to thoroughly rinse away the bleach with plenty of water.
Sound like a good plan thanks for the input.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
wait till i get some photos of my indoor starting area i been building all winter long,,,

i shoul d be able to get a couple '' hundred'' started in there,

...BIGGER BETTER BADDER thats the motto for this grow,

ChuckP

Howdy Y'all!

SIX WEEKS TILL I CAN START SOWING MY SEED! WAHOO! Everythings ready, I'm just waiting for the seed I requested to grow out for the FTT seed exchange and the one I requested - Monte Calm Brun for myself. I don't think I've been this excited since my first year growing 2009. Maybe I should buy a place on the equator - so I can grow year round. I Wish!

Status
Not open for further replies.