Whole Leaf Tobacco

Basma gone bad

stdly

I usually shred 1/3 of pound at a time and store it in these jars for blending.
So far I hadn't had and problems with spoilage.
I went to blend a new batch and noticed the Basma jar was filled with grey mould.
I shredded it back in May along with a few others and have used it a couple times since.
It was a half pound and the case was the driest of all the baccys I shredded.
Not sure what happened?

Attachments

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

S.S. Block, 1953.

I would guess that cured tobacco is between cheese and wood. Mold spores are ubiquitous. The only control we have is humidity and available nutrients. The nutrients (mostly carbohydrates) in tobacco vary by variety and curing method. So that means that all we can do is keep the humidity low--at least below 76% RH. It's better to store tobacco too dry than too moist. Shredded tobacco can be easily rehydrated with a mist of water.

Bob

stdly

S.S. Block, 1953.

I would guess that cured tobacco is between cheese and wood. Mold spores are ubiquitous. The only control we have is humidity and available nutrients. The nutrients (mostly carbohydrates) in tobacco vary by variety and curing method. So that means that all we can do is keep the humidity low--at least below 76% RH. It's better to store tobacco too dry than too moist. Shredded tobacco can be easily rehydrated with a mist of water.

Bob
Thanks Bob.
Now I am worried about the rest I have shredded.

stdly

Just let it dry. It's in jars, so it can't be damaged accidentally.

Bob
Okie dokie will make sure the case is drier from now on, can't afford spoilage.
The air cured baccys come with warnings about mold but i have had any issues with the dark air I shredded at the same time and the Maryland shredded a couple months ago.
The only difference is the Basma I shredded everything, the Dark air and the Maryland I went through carefully and removed the stems and any suspect spots that were very few.
Maybe there was some moist stems in the Basama that causes a chain reaction, the mold is all through it now. I don't know much about mold try to steer clear.
I haven't opened the jar yet worried about mold getting out will take it out to the fire pit empty it and then sterilize the lid and jar.
Another reason I am worried I just ordered a pound of Krumovgrad B2 and don't want to make the same mistake I guess the best would be to only shred what I need each time.

burge

I usually shred 1/3 of pound at a time and store it in these jars for blending.
So far I hadn't had and problems with spoilage.
I went to blend a new batch and noticed the Basma jar was filled with grey mould.
I shredded it back in May along with a few others and have used it a couple times since.
It was a half pound and the case was the driest of all the baccys I shredded.
Not sure what happened?
Leave tobacco in the vapor proof bags tobacco does not go bad when you need it just mist with water its the best way to store tobacco

Maybe not a bad idea I'm guessing Boveda I wonder what humidity to buy?
I would go for somewhere between 60-65%.8 gram pack works up to 28g/1oz of leaf,put the pack in your jar & put the lid on.
If you don't open the jar that often,the pack would probably last years.