Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Black Cavendish Taste

stu

I made some Black Cavendish multiple times. I used the steam method. While the smell is very nice honey, figs, nuts, fruity kind of smell. I actually dont taste a lot of this when i smoke it. Does this have to ferment so maybe the taste come out later. Usually in brewing experience its the same kind of procces. Its smell great in the beginning but doesnt taste a lot of notes. But later this will come out more when its maturing.

I also used the cavendish or perique method. With the leaves in a pot and than au bain marie cook it. I read somewhere to leaves the leaves in the pot unopened for min 2 weeks is this neccesarry? I didnt do this i opened it and dryed it. WHile the smell is very nice i dont taste a lot only a small hint of vanilia virginia gold taste. Also do you add moisture in the pot with the leaves? One time i didnt add moisture and one time i did add a little bit of some homebrew to the leaves. It rained a lot and the leaves allready felt humidified because of the humid air.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest you read through the threads on making Cavendish, and on making Perique in our Index of Key Forum Threads, linked in the menu bar.

We are capable of tasting:
  • sweet
  • sour
  • salty
  • bitter
  • umami
Everything else is olfactory. Tobacco that is pH neutral (i.e. not sour or bitter), and is unsweetened and not salted, is left with only its aroma (smell). All commercial Cavendish has additives.

Bob

stu

I would suggest you read through the threads on making Cavendish, and on making Perique in our Index of Key Forum Threads, linked in the menu bar.

We are capable of tasting:
  • sweet
  • sour
  • salty
  • bitter
  • umami
Everything else is olfactory. Tobacco that is pH neutral (i.e. not sour or bitter), and is unsweetened and not salted, is left with only its aroma (smell). All commercial Cavendish has additives.

Bob
Thanks Bob i did indeed read trough the making on cavendish and perique. But i couldnt find anything about adding moisture to the jar. Nor could i find anything about leaving it in the jar for 2 weeks. I did read this on a other website. I did in fact follow the steps you had written about making cavendish. Perhaps i expected it to taste stronger. I will experiment some more and will leave some on the side for aging.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Perique making requires at least 3 months under the liquid, for anaerobic fermentation by Pichia anomala. Once it comes out, it needs to be dried completely, to prevent mold. The same is true for Cavendish (which is steam cooked).

With both Cavendish and Perique, the flavors and the nicotine strength are entirely dependent on the specific variety of tobacco used.

Bob

Controlled Chaos

You mentioned only being able to taste a slight hint of Virginia, is that what you used to make your cavendish? A few weeks ago I made cavendish with jars and an instant pot using two VA's, burley, and Samsun and aside from the Samsun they're all very mild in flavor despite smelling pretty good. The one made with burley almost tasted like nothing when I tried some in a small clay pipe

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Virginia, is that what you used to make your cavendish?
I've successfully made Cavendish from over two dozen different tobacco varieties. Although the specific variety does contribute some to the final aroma, the chosen variety definitely determines the nicotine content.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I made Cavendish from my Sacred Cornplanter N. rustica. I believe that my initial color-curing of it was inadequate. The Cavendish was horrid. I suspect that allowing the leaves to fully yellow on the plant would lead to a more palatable Cavendish. If all you want is nicotine, then just raise the pH of any mixture by blending with more dark tobacco (e.g. dark air-cured).

Bob

Bottenslam

Just out of curiosity Bob,have you or anyone else that you know of prepared Cavendish using rustica varieties ?
The subject of higher nicotine strength is what got me thinking about it.
I made some Cavendish using rustica a long time ago, i just put The moist(on The Side of wet) leaves in a yar in The oven at 100 degrees, dont remember for how long. I would say it tasted fine. Tho to be taken with a grain of salt, this was atleast 5 years ago.

stu

You mentioned only being able to taste a slight hint of Virginia, is that what you used to make your cavendish? A few weeks ago I made cavendish with jars and an instant pot using two VA's, burley, and Samsun and aside from the Samsun they're all very mild in flavor despite smelling pretty good. The one made with burley almost tasted like nothing when I tried some in a small clay pipe
I did indeed some with only virginia. I also did a mix with virginia gold, burley and latakia. I did one with pure african red. I even pressed one and let it dry as cake for some days before cutting it. I did one wich i pressed it as a puk in a spaghetti press. This one i still have to taste. I did both steaming the leaves and cooking in jars. Now after some time has passed. Some cavendish that i have steamed have a taste like i think a cigar i have smoked. But not sweet or anything even when its made it smell super sweet. The on in the jars have a more different taste like a subtle hint of vanilla.